The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Thats great, but there is always a downside to messing with mother nature when it comes to trying to plant hatchery raised lifestock into the wild. In the wild it is the battle fo the fittest, and only the strong survive. When you protect and shelter animals in an effort to help their survival, you mess with this law of nature and weak animals survive, that otherwise wouldnt have, which will eventually breed with the ones that did it on their own without help and negatively impact the wild population. Even though they ARE using wild embryos, the sheltering is going to allow the weak to survive.

Im not saying im totally against it, just something to think about. Im no MB, but i do have a flyfishing business and i could talk to you for hours about this relationship between true native fish, wild fish(yes they are different things), and hatchery fish, and effects i have witnessed first hand when those bridges are crossed.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there must be a reason the coral have not populated the area sooner. i do not think a grounding would have caused permant damage to a healthy reef. with how fast corals grow, it should be doing fine now. corals are pretty tough little buggers. any frags that would have been leftover from the grounding should have started growing again.

it just seems really strange.

Spanky-got any insight on this?

G~

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
It's silly.

But if they can convince equal idiots on the board to approve funding, they might accidently learn something else that they were not even aware of. That's what you hope for anyway.

For one thing, it's been over 20years ago. Why haven't corals settled there already? It's not like they are collecting larvae a million miles away, right?

What about removing larvae from a place that they could have settled?

Basically it's a CNN moment. Feels so good and warm and fuzzy to people that don't have a clue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Its the same with everthing around here, water is warmer and the fertlizer level coming around the guld stream is not helping, there has been a ras of bleaching in that area as well. I don't know what the route is, but if spawning starts 3 days after a full moon around the end of june beginning of July and goes for a few weeks it has to travel on something if it is the inside of the gulf stream then central america, Mexico and then the US, Canada across to the UKdown Africa and then splits if it comes backup with Pacific run off up the east coast of South america and then into the development should be ready to start as soon as they hit the warm water meanwhile the poor boogers have traveled through every posion pool we can throw at them giving them a little help seems to be no differnt then feeding a starving cat that is hanging out on your door step.

We are nature we are making the changes we are the course so if we don't try to repair what we have broken or neglected to work cooperatly with every other living object then Darwin's rule comes into play else we are natures preservitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts