The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the lfs and gave the saleslady my water to test. Here are the results.
Salinity 1.8 she said that is low add salt
Ph 8.0
nitrate 30 better than I thought
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
alk 2.5 I think. I did the test myself here and thats what it looks like to me I have no idea if thats good or bad?
They did have any calcium test left so I couldn't buy one. She said my calcium levels were fine. I asked for the number and she said her test didn't give numbers it gives colors and mine was purple. She said that was fine but I'm not sure.
She said just add salt and Kent supper buffer and things should turn around with in 24 hrs.
Please let me know what you think.
I'm not adding any slat or buffer until I hear from you.
Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
107 Posts
NEVER add salt directly to the tank.. How much do you want to raise the SG?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to mix it with ro water and add it to the sump. I have no idea how much I should add. The sales lady said a cpl of cups? She said my sg should be 2.2 and it's now 1.8

·
Registered
203 Posts
dON'T ADD SALT WITHOUT HAVING A TEST KIT (sorry caps) how ya going to know!!!!! a plastic salinity meter is 100% better than nothing. please please please, don't depent on LSF test, change run back to shop then home then back!!!! You will loose, or your tank will

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have nitrate ph and alk test kits. I was going to buy a ca kit but they didn't have them. I only have softies in my tank so dont thin ca is a problem right now. I have a glass hydrometer to test the salt and it's reading 1.020. I know this prob sounds stupid but if I dont add salt how will I get the salinity up?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
To rase the salt content top-off with salt water. You are talking about 1.018 SG right? If so then you are right 1.022 woud be good, but I would shoot for 1.025. Personally I run my salt from 1.025 to 1.026 because that is the salt level of the ocean I am worried about.

Alk,.. 2.5 is low I assume this is meausreing in MEQ/L? not DKH? Please confirm.

If my above assumption is correct, then 3.2 Meq/L is a good level for Alk, 5 TSP of Arm and Hammer baking soda will bring your tank close to that, but add them one TSP per 12 Hours and test a couple hours after each addition, add to the sump so it get's mixed in with that water before returning to the tank.

On the CA, I don't know what Purple means, sorry.

Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Whiskey
I bought supper buffer by Kent she said that was what I needed. Should I ad it as directed instead of the baking soda. How much salt do you think I should add a cpl of cups to one gallon mix it the put it in the sump? Oh yeah I bought that food you were telling me about! Also How do I raise my alk?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks coral cat
I have a 150 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump. I'm not adding anything yet

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
No prob. I don't know how much Kent superbuffer is required, so you are on your own if you want to use that, it's not included in my handy caculator, add slow, test often. Baking soda is cheaper so I use that ;) especially when I go through 2 1/4 cups a month due to a very high demand in my tank. (stony corals) That food is cool, you'll like it.

Just mix up some salt water like you were doing a water change (but mix it to 1.025 this time), then add that when you top off your tank, this should slowly raise your salt level.

BTW the amount of baking soda I gave you should be slightly less than what you need, I told it you had 120G total water volume, when after your sump you should have more. I did this so you wouldn't over-shoot your mark, it's easer to bring your level up a bit than down a bit.

Whiskey

partobe said:
Thanks Whiskey
I bought supper buffer by Kent she said that was what I needed. Should I ad it as directed instead of the baking soda. How much salt do you think I should add a cpl of cups to one gallon mix it the put it in the sump? Oh yeah I bought that food you were telling me about!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure of the brand it was in a plastic black box. Each test had a plastic vile of sorts with the colors next to them you would match the colors to each other by sliding the little plastic window. The whole thing took about 20 min

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
It's kinda hard to caculate total water volume, because sand and live rock displace water, then you have a sump that adds water, plus piping, but pumps also despace it,... I always under caculate my tanks too, then correct the slightly low result the next day.

Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok I will go low at first. How often do you feed the food to your tank?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks coralcat I think I will use the supper buffer since I already have it. Thanks for the link I will book mark it

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Me? Two to Three times per day, I use a mix of different foods, small amounts often is the key IMHO, that way it all gets eaten fast and none sits around to rot, it is key to have the skimmer working at it's best if you are going to do this though. I feed the cyclopeaze about once or twice a week.

I pull about a gallon of skimate every 5-7 days, and my nitrate is currently undetectable. I have a sailfin tang, chrub angel, christmass wrasse, Yellow tang, springeri dottyback, and cleaner shrimp in a 125G tank.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 73 Posts