The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75 gallon tank. Existing tank for years. Moved 11 days ago with 50% WC, and new LS.

Here are tonights test levels before my 1st 7 gallon water change...

Amonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
PH 8.19
Calcium 400
KH 8.0
Alkalinity 2.86
Temp 84...I know I have to get it down.
Salinity...unknow...waiting for my refractometer.

LMK what you think.

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
dobbs said:
If you mean just the temp...I understand. If not - please help.

Thanks,
DAve

The levels are almost good to go........

Need to test your salinity first like i replied in your other thread. Also as theplatypus stated if you can test your pH in the morning before the lights go on to get an idea on the swing. Ideal swing would be before the lights come on pH reads 8.1 or 8.2 and after the lights have been on pH read 8.3 or 8.4

Also the Nitrates need to come down some. This can be takin care of with a water change. It is good to get into a routine of doing regular water changes.

Like you said the temp needs to come down to about 81. Some clip on fans might do the trick you can purchase these at Walmart or any hardware store.

The Alkalinity level i like to keep mine from 9-11 dKH. Yours being at 8.0 is not a bad level. I would look into some marine buffer that will raise the pH level and the Alk level the extra little bit that is needed.

The Calcium level at 400 is not a bad reading if you do not have any corals in the system. Chances are being a new system the Calcium level is not all that important IMO until you start keeping corals. Then i like to keep the calcium level from 425-450.

I hope this helps:thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also as theplatypus stated if you can test your pH in the morning before the lights go on to get an idea on the swing. Ideal swing would be before the lights come on pH reads 8.1 or 8.2 and after the lights have been on pH read 8.3 or 8.4
OK..the PH this morning is 8.08...so, it sounds like that is good.

Also the Nitrates need to come down some. This can be takin care of with a water change. It is good to get into a routine of doing regular water changes.
7 gallons/week sound good?

Like you said the temp needs to come down to about 81. Some clip on fans might do the trick you can purchase these at Walmart or any hardware store.
Temp this morning is 81.8. I"ll keep the fan on all day to see what happens.

The Alkalinity level i like to keep mine from 9-11 dKH. Yours being at 8.0 is not a bad level. I would look into some marine buffer that will raise the pH level and the Alk level the extra little bit that is needed.
I have a bottle of KM Pro Buffer dkH. I'll start adding and re-testing.

The Calcium level at 400 is not a bad reading if you do not have any corals in the system. Chances are being a new system the Calcium level is not all that important IMO until you start keeping corals. Then i like to keep the calcium level from 425-450.
How do I raise the Calcium?

I hope this helps:thumbup: :thumbup:
It sure does. Thanks.:beer:

Dave

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
dobbs said:
OK..the PH this morning is 8.08...so, it sounds like that is good. 8.08pH in the morning isn't bad but once you start adding some of that buffer it will help raise that up the extra bit that is needed.

7 gallons/week sound good? yeah 7 gallons a week should be good. On my 72 gallon i do anywhere from 10 - 20 depending on what i am doing that water change

Temp this morning is 81.8. I"ll keep the fan on all day to see what happens. I was always told to try and keep the temp from going over 81 so that will give you some error zone so to speak if it gets higher.

I have a bottle of KM Pro Buffer dkH. I'll start adding and re-testing. Yeah add some of that in your water change water and test. Add a little at a time then test don't want to add to much at once. You can always add more if needed:thumbup:

How do I raise the Calcium? I use Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium

Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dobbs said:
75 gallon tank. Existing tank for years. Moved 11 days ago with 50% WC, and new LS.

Here are tonights test levels before my 1st 7 gallon water change...

Amonia 0
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
PH 8.19
Calcium 400
KH 8.0
Alkalinity 2.86
Temp 84...I know I have to get it down.
Salinity...unknow...waiting for my refractometer.

LMK what you think.
Here are my test results 48 hours after the WC...and adding pro buffer kdH...

Amonia 0
Nitrate <10
Nitrite 0
PH 8.19
Calcium 390
KH 9.3
Alkalinity 3.31
Salinity 1.026 by refractometer - the hydrometer said 1.028
Temp 81.1

I know that I need to order a calcium addative. what other addatives will I need in the future? For a few fish, polyps, and corals. Are there other test kits I'll need as well?

Dave

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
You might consider a phosphate test kit - - and check it periodically. Even though the tank has been set up for a while, I found high phosphates in my tank after 3 years - - the test kits are relatively inexpensive.

You probably should adjust your salinity to be about 1.023----

HHC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts