The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to check the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in my tank. Ive been doing research and seen Red Sea offers a test kit. Is that a good/accurate test kit? Would it be better to get individual test kits from another brand?

· Hydro-Dynamic
13,156 Posts
I am wanting to check the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium in my tank. Ive been doing research and seen Red Sea offers a test kit. Is that a good/accurate test kit? Would it be better to get individual test kits from another brand?
The Red Sea Pro is fine. I like Salifert, and while either uses the same technique
and style of testing Ca, the Salifert is more cut and dry easier to
understand leaving nothing to misinterpret. Just discovered this as my
new Salifert Ca kit was inaccurate and being refunded, I opted to try the
Red Sea Pro Ca kit instead. They're both good. Is that the Red Sea (Pro)
that you're talking about?

Any kit can be off, and I believe the newer Salifert offers a sample solution to check by.

· Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its the pro I was referring too. I was trying to buy the test kit as a whole instead of each kit individual. However, if that would be the better way to do it, I would rather do it right than regret it later. I have heard some people say the Red Sea is inaccurate and takes a while to test. I was wondering if another company offered a test kit that had all these chemicals?

· Hydro-Dynamic
13,156 Posts
The Red Sea is about $20 or so less than buying the Saliferts individually
which is the only way I've seen them.
http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith....&visitorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&division=
I'm pretty comfortable recommending Salifert, but like I said
any kit could be off, and Salifert is pretty good. At 1st all the paraphernalia
in the box seems daunting until you follow the instructions , and it's
pretty easy really. You'll never have to match a card to a result colour.
Can't contact the company though.

· Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, well I cant decide which one id rather go with. Ive found the Red Sea for less than 50 most places or so. But if Salifert is a better test kit then I might give it a try. Is salifert and red sea similar on how you test? Do they both have the same method?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.