The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
I often find that stores only give about half the picture, and this is another example. Like most Acanthurus species tangs, this dude is a swimmer. To over a foot in length as an adult, it won't make a great long term addition to smaller tanks, and even in larger tanks like yours it can easily be crowded in short order (particularly if you have other large fish, triggers, surgeonfishes, etc). While it may be one of the more peaceful Acanthurus (when compared to a powder blue, for example), I'm not sure it's always the best choice (mostly do to size). What other fish do you have in there?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Jenni that is a beautiful tang also check out the orange shoulder tang. I had one many yrs ago and wish I would have gotten one instead of the yellow tang I have now.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Jenni that is a beautiful tang also check out the orange shoulder tang. I had one many yrs ago and wish I would have gotten one instead of the yellow tang I have now.
I'm definitely not telling you not to buy the fish, Jenni, but this one falls into the same boat in my opinion. For me it's hard to rehome them (first to find someone with a bigger/better system than I've got, and then to tell the wife that it must be done :(), so I've finally gotten to the point of hesitating when purchasing larger fish. The orange shoulder can grow to over 15", and are reported to be a real terror as adults. Though truly a beautiful fish, I'd need to be in the 500 gallon territory before I would personally consider it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
wow I had no idea! Now I'm happy I got the yellow tang. Poor thing I had him in a 100 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info... I am just looking aorund... saw that it was a pretty fish, thought I would throw it out to my reef experts. From what I read they are hard to obtain anyway. Oh well, its still pretty.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I have one and he is an awesome fish. They only get to 10 inches which IMO is pretty small for the "larger tangs" considering yellows can reach 9. they are very beautiful, kinda rare and IMO I think it would go good in the 180 if that's what you are putting it in

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you happen to have a pic of yours... how big is it now and how long have you had it? what size tank do you have it in and what other fish do you have? Thanks for the info... I think they look like a beautiful fish.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I'll get a pic. He's about 4 inches and lives with a volitan lion and a cream angel. He spends most of his day grazing

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oooo he is soo pretty! How long have you had it... how much has it grown? did you get him locally or online?

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I've had him for about 3 months now. He hasn't grown very much at all. I work weekends at a LFS and he was in there for a really long time so I decided to give him a good home. He's an awesome fish. My fav.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You work at a LFS in Redmond? Do you ever get over to Portland to the stores there? I don't now if you know or not, but I lived in Portland for 8 years...just moved back to Kansas 2 years ago. Joel at WAVES is a friend of mine and of course I know Travis at Upscales and Woody at Seahorse.. and all the others...thanks for the pic... I am going to keep my eyes open for one of these.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
yeah I work at oasis in redmond. Unfortuanately I hardly ever get to portland but if you are in central oregon stop by. We've got some pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Love that fish too! I almost got him but he looked kind of sick at the LFS so I didnt... but otherwise its a great looking fish!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very pretty tang too! thanks. I really like the blue of the tennenti and its shape... something very gentle looking about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts