The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to post a few pics of the tank - the last pics un/fortunately. :) :(

Time for this fella to take a little break. By Saturday evening, the tank will be mostly fish and live rock. Within the next two weeks, I'll be completely dry. Primary reason being the major humidity/condensation issues I had over last winter. It's just not worth damaging my house over. I'll have another one up once either a.) we move to a climate without condensation :D or b.) our next house has the space to allow me to build a wet room and isolate the tank from the rest of the house. I thought about installing an air exchanger, but decided it wasn't worth the investment since I don't think we'll be here more than another year or two. There are other reasons...after 8 years, I need to be without for a spell.

I'll still be around, behaving myself as usual. :agree:
But for now....say goodbye to my little friends. :wavey:

:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Arrrrggghhhh... bummer man... I was gonna ask for some frags from a few of those beauties... hope you come back soon. (let me know who i can bug for some shipped frags :)

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Well, it sounds like your mind is already made up, so I won't try to talk you out of it. There ARE solutions. Good luck!!

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whatevva said:
Well, it sounds like your mind is already made up, so I won't try to talk you out of it. There ARE solutions. Good luck!!
Yes, it's pretty much made up.

Other than installing an air exchanger and/or covering the tank, what are the solutions? It doesn't evap much more than a couple gallons/day, but the tank's in the basement and dehumidifier runs 24/7. Still have problems. Dehumidifier is pretty large and still the humidity never gets under 50. In the summer, that's no biggie, but cold winters are a different story. :(

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
How big and old is your dehumidifier? Could you get one that handles more capacity? I have a 125 gal in my basement too...it was awful down there before I got the dehumidifier. I think mine handles 50 gal. Now, it runs all day (shuts off every now and then), but it maintains the room at 50%. It is not actually removing water all the time, it will hit 50%, then it coasts for a while (this doesn't use much electricity at all) then it will kick in when it hits 55% again. Plus it is better in the winter too...do you have forced hot air heat? That should dry it out too.

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have forced air heat. Basement is even open to the upstairs.
I have the dehumidifier plumbed to a drain, so it runs constantly (compressor does turn off and on). It's about 3 years old and I keep it well maintained. It's not cheap to run, though. Once I was able to turn it off for the spring, my electrical dropped about $40/month, though a small part of that was also the furnace. 6+ amps running all day adds up. I also don't like to run things like that when I'm not home. I've heard of more than one fire being attributed to a dehumidifier...

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
really...I have never heard of such a thing...mine run's all the time. and when the tank is full it just shuts off. It is very efficient...energy star. I think it is made by Frigidare. I have not seen an increase in my bill at all, 10-20 bucks a month max.

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tims said:
well ya gota do whatcha gata do.
can anyone babysit the corals for a while?
I did that the last time I was between tanks. It's really kind of a big favor to ask of someone. I do have a few that I don't know I'd ever be able to exactly replace. I have a hammer coral that I bought a few months after I started keeping a reef - 8 years ago. :(

Since I don't know when the next tank will be a reality, it's probably best for me to just sell them off. I can always hope that their' new owners will be able to frag me back once I return.

·
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a few more coral shots on this saddest of all days... :doh:
I'd still like to hear of the "other options" people have for dealing with humidity - other than dehumidifiers and air exchangers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts