The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75g tank is running around 82 degrees average. I know 78-80 is normal. Is this temp safe for my fish? It's hard to justify a 400 dollar chiller for 2 degrees but I don't want to endanger my fish.

·
Registered
668 Posts
You could try installing fans to blow over the top of water. It should help bring it down a few degrees. That is what I have to do in late summer. Like you, I don't want to spend $$$ on a chiller either.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Most fish will do completely fine in 82*! Most soft corals will also happily thrive at this temperature. As long as you keep it relatively constant and avoid large temperature changes, you'll be fine.

+1 on the fan- although it will cause a LOT of evaporation!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
82 is fine.

FWIW, one of my older tanks used to reach 84/85 all the time in the summer. I didn't have a fan, the lights were enclosed in a canopy and a swing of 4 or 5 degrees a day was a common occurance. Anyways, this was a mixed reef and neither the fish or the corals seemed to mind. GL.

·
Active Anemone
1,664 Posts
My 90 is currently set to 81. In the summer it gets to 83 degrees winter it gets to 79. I actually have noticed my corals respond better to the higher temps.

With that being said keeping the temp consistent is probably the best goal you can set for yourself. No matter if its 78 or 82 but keeping it at that same temp things seem to look alot better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts