The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been slowly setting up my tank but my temperature is way too high. like 88F in my tank, i dont have anything in it but i use it to mix water for my cooking rock right now. I have been looking at chillers but they seems to be 150 and up for a small model. Are there any ways to cool the water that i could make myself or do i need to shell out $200 to keep it cool over the summer?
thanks
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
My own ocean
1,662 Posts
You obviously are using a heater...so have you simply tried lowering the temp

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
indeed, what is the ambient temperature in the room and what equipment are you using? It seems that a piece of hardware is warming the tank.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i turned off the powerheads and it dropped to 85, my room temp is 82. I dont have a heater at all in that tank, its just water and the powerheads, no rock, sand, fish or anything. my other tank is also warm like 83 with the filter.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What kind of lighting are you running? How many hours are the "daylight" on? I run T5s instead of metal halides to avoid heat problems.
Fans blowing across the water surface can help reduce temperature a bit. The down side is that the evaporation which cools the water needs to be replaced.
How big is the tank? A larger, deeper tank has less heat issues.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Without a chiller, you will not easily get a tank to stay much below room temperature. Fans will help but turning the A/C down a little may be your best bet.

What kind of powerheads are you using? That's a big temp drop from what should be low wattage pumps.

·
Rock guy
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 20g has no light at all, its just a mixing tank but will be my dt once my rock is cooked. i have a 1.5g with just a compact 50/50 bulb. Both are still 83F and a fan on the small one. Should i just plan on mounting permenit fans on them and hope that cools them?
And neither have heaters in them, i only own one and its in my bin with the cooking rocks
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

1 - 9 of 9 Posts