The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temp is shiftin from 79 to about 81 from lights off to lights on....wondering if this is causing my ick problem to not go away....

Is a 3 degree shift too much? I am thinking about putting the fans on timers with the lights so they will not cool the tank down at night. But then my water will stay about 81-82?

Waddaya think?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Raise it to the point by which your lights will not effect the temp. of your tank. 84 degrees is reasonable for a 2 - 3 month duration. Therefore, 81-82 degrees is fine. 3 degrees is a large temperature shift, and yes the stress can effect the ich. Ideally you want no more than a 1 degree shift in temperature. What kind of lights are you running?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running 4 x 96W PC. The problem is that the tank and lights are in a completely closed wall unit so that when the fans don't run (even without the lights) the humidity builds up pretty bad in the cabinet and heats the water. I have 5 fans running 24 hours a day - what I'll try is cutting 2 or 3 fans when the lights aren't on and see if I can average out the temp shift.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
On the other hand...
My systems swing 10 degrees daily.
Nature subjects shallow-water reefs to much worse on a near-daily basis for months on ened, here where I live.
:)

I guess it depends on how stressed the inhabitants are from other factors, so that a few degrees change can sometimes be the tiny straw that breaks the camel's back.

As for 'ich' (cryptocaryosis), you need to do a search here on TRT regarding isolation and hyposalinity. The parasite requires a fish host to survive in a system, otherwise it dies out in 3-7 months (depending on how paranoid you are or which authoprity is doing the preaching.

The basic idea is to remove all fishes from the display and starve the parasites in the display (no fish whatsoever). The fishes you took out and into isolation are meanwhile treated via FW dips and hypo. Once you're satisfied that the fish are clean and free, and the tank similarly so, you reintroduce the fish to the display.

hth.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately with my rock setup there is NO WAY i am going to be able to catch all the fish to isolate them. I think unfortunately I am going to have to let nature take its course here and hope for the best. I am not adding any livestock to the system until things are completely stable and fish are all healthy. AAAK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts