The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay my temperature has been going through some fluctuations. it may rise from 24degrees to 28 degrees and sometimes 30 degrees.. the rise is gradual but scary. my tank has been cycling for 10 days now and i'm running a cooling fan too.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Cycling with lights on? If so what kind of lights? Need some info on your set-up to try and help you figure it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i'm cycling with my lights off... they're led lights my set up is like this:

equipment
Fluval c3 HOB filter(rated 20-50 US gallons)
fluval m100 heater(rated 30 us gallons)
dymax cooling fan
resun waver 2000 wave maker
8 watt wave point LED high output clamp lamp

test kits/chems/salt
API reef master
API saltwater master
kent marine pro buffer dkh
nutrafin aquaplus
redsea salt

·
Registered
145 Posts
okay my temperature has been going through some fluctuations. it may rise from 24degrees to 28 degrees and sometimes 30 degrees.. the rise is gradual but scary. my tank has been cycling for 10 days now and i'm running a cooling fan too.
Just wondering is that temp c or f? Maybe im missing something.

My biocube runs hot in the summer so i leave hatches open, and my heater was going bad, and that was part of my heat problem. Now winter is coming, so i bought a better heater.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Okay now that i found a converter....lol. i know how hot your tank is getting. You can also try to place it in a room(not in draft) but where the ac keeps the best temperature.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats a good i idea for now... when the cash is plenty a chiller would also be good don't you think?... but some where in either this forum or another one i read about a member who allows his reef to fluctuate temperature wise.. it read that the temp would sometimes reach 88 f.. i know right!! yikes!! i'll try to find the post.. if i'm not wrong he/she said that it allows the corals to get used to fluctuations and if one happened to occur the effects would not be drastic. let me find it but for the meantime can you guys please comment

·
Happy Clam
938 Posts
Chiller is overkill on a 10g. Your heater is way too big. In fact, its better to have two small heaters rated for the tank together. So, lets say you have a 60g. Its better to have two heaters rated for 30g. On a 10g, you might not even need a heater. The pumps put off heat and that alone may be enough. As mentioned, turn the heater off and see what happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay shall try that out but i might have to switch the heater on at night as i will be using the ac and i normally put it at 16 degrees

·
Salty Dog
1,044 Posts
Unplug the heater. I bet that is your problem. And as said above, you most likely dont even need a heater foer a tank that small. Good to catch it now though while you are still cycling than to have ths issue once you have livestock in there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup turned of the heater and the temp was nice. but had to turn it on at night though because the tank hit 24.6 degrees ..thanks guys for the help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts