The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got a quick question......is a heater necessary for a 5gal nano?

I can't seem to find a heater that is small enough for it w/o looking too bulky. During the day, my tank is around 82-83F w/ the lights on (2 13watt PC) and at night it drops to about 78-79F.

Its funny that during the day, I'm having to combat heating, but at night its the coldness that worries me...lol.

If I do need a heater, any suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm still working on my first tank, but it was my understanding that optimal temp is around 75F... that would mean you're not getting too cold at any time... but maybe it depends on what you have in your tank. ...and the 5 degree temp change every night might be bad.

Hopefully some knowledgeable folks will chime in!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A 5 degree swing is peanuts once the fish get used to it, and you keep your tank maintenance sharp.

With nanos, you have less volume as a buffer against nutrient-dump disasters: you know, something dies, and the rot not only unleashes ammonia but hogs all the oxygen in the water?

Keeping the water on the cool side not only slightly increases the amount of O2 against such a disaster, but keeps animal metabolisms a bit slower so they need less O2 to begin with. I'd probably shoot for 78F with an acceptable swing of 2 degrees either way.

I dealt with excess daytime heat via evaporative cooling in the day, keeping a fan on the water surface and regularly topping off with FW what evaporated.

If I'd had to deal with excess cold, well, maybe I would have gone for a heater ---but only a brand I could trust not go nuts and turn my nano into soup.

:)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
75 seems a bit low to me. I would shoot for more like 78.

And a 5 degree temp swing is totally unacceptable. Corals and fish really like a more stable temp than anything. Even if the 5 degree swing doesn't kill them you'll never know just how much stress it's causing. I try and shoot for no more than a 2 degree swing.

There are some small 25 and 50 watt heaters.

A Tronic 50 watt is pretty small but there are smaller units out there.

A fan for constant cooling and a reliable heater for temp control.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I 2nd Charles. 5 degrees is WAY too much of a temp. swing. This causes harm and stress to the corals and fish. I try and keep my tank between 79-81 all the time. I do have a small heater in my tank, 75 watts I think, but it rarely ever comes on!

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just to let yall know fish can detect a one degree temp change humans two degrees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the response.....actually I checked today..my temp has been holding at 82 F all day and last nite it only got down to 80..so only a 2 degree swing......

I guess it was because the other nite, my roomate left the AC running all nite and I didn't factor that in. I'll keep an eye out for any bigger swing..if not i'll take c_K recommendations on the heater.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Even if you only have a 2 degree swing I would still recommend getting the heater. It may never turn on but its sort of like an insurance policy against roommates that leave AC's on all night when you go away for the weekend. :D

·
Registered
945 Posts
well i havent gotten anything in my tank but live rock and i noticed today the temp was 74 when i got home and now the lights are on and it is 75.......This room stays cool.........guess i had better get a heater

1 - 10 of 10 Posts