The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm kind of new to the reef tank. I had a fish only for a little while but got bored with it. So I am starting a reef tank. I was just wondering what is a good reef compatiable fish or invert that will keep the bristle worm population under control?

Here is some info on my tank
80 gal tank
150 sea clone skimmer
400 wat metal halide
20gal sump
2 power heads
75 pounds live rock
40 pounds live sand

1 tree leather
1 bouble tip anneome
2 counch
20 hermits
10 turbos
1 pin cushoin urchin
1 sand sifting star

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
welcome to the reef madness. BWAH HAHAHA, ok sorry. but really, i believe a six lined wrasse is known to eat them, but if your population is going crazy there maybe be a different problem, to much feeding etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I appreciate the welcome of all the headaches that are to come. I was also wondering what are some good hardy corals that will go good with my tree leather?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
you have a pretty strong light, so basically what do you like?

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Personally I LOVE leathers! I have 5 different species in my tank. But as Andy asked, what do you like?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
xtopher said:
So umm I guess nobody told you that we are all pic-a-holics around here, anyways Welcome to TRT!!!
yea i gotta agree, if you have one rock with one polyp, and one tiny very common fish, you still cant post enough pics. so get on it!! and just for some ideas like butch said, hes a leather guy, im like LPS (large polyp stoney) and zoo's. but your options are pretty large. check the sponsors for coral sites, click around and find some stuff that you like. anything that needs strong lights can do fine under yours, you might have to move it up in your tank if it needs very very strong lighting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about doing so,e zoa's xenia mushrooms and a couple more leathers. I kind of want to stay away from acoporas until I get a little more time under my belt.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Then get a Fiji Yellow Leather, then a Cabbage leather, and then a huge Devil's hand! :D I like zoa's too. It's hard to find unique colors so when you see something that you like, grab it fast! Even if it's in a LFS display tank! You may have to beg :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
look at some LPS, hammer, frogspawns, plate, candy canes, all these are very easy too. and if you want crazy zoo's check around online, its very very hard to locate a lfs with them. and they are usually priced to kill.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found some good looking zoo's at this web site but I am kind of if'y on ordering on line. Cause you never know what you are actually going to get. The web site looks legite but I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered from them? Here is the web site www.pacificeastaquaculture.com

I was also wondering how do I post pictures on this website or attach them to my postings.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Welcome to TRT. I have Heard through the LFS that Banded coral shrimp are good for bristle worms..... but they may not be good for leather corals.

I like pumping Xenea for softies

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

do not worry about the bristle worms. they are actually good to have. if you have a huge amount of them, than that means you are either feeding to much or you are not able to remove the food fast enough. more flow may be needed or bigger detrital eaters. as for 6-lined eating bristle worms, i doubt it. besides most bristle worms are a lot bigger than a 6-lined wrasse.

G~

1 - 20 of 24 Posts