The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We redid our lights and attached them to the roof of our canopy lid. We couldn't use the piece of plexiglass that came with the lights the way it was before. My hubby wants to put plexiglass on top of the tank to keep water from splashing the bulbs. I know we need to do that but not cover the tank. Please tell my why you shouldn't cover the tank so I can tell him, and how to cover the lights if you have any ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you cover the tank:

1. You could have a temperature problem
2. You reduce the gas exchange
3. You get salt creep

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes as Stated above

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give me an idea on how to keep water from splashing my PC lighting I can't attach the plexiglass or plastic right to the lights they are too hot. I just don't have any other ideal how. Pics would help if you have them.
Thanks.

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
I attached a sheet of plexi below my bulbs like this, don't do this with MH it will melt, sorry the drawing didn't show up to big I guess. I attached four 6" bolts to the canopy and then used those to hold a sheet of plexi below the bulbs

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see any picture showed up. Can you try again? The piece of plastic that came with our lights was very flexible. We would have to get another kind to be rigid enough to hang like that, but it sounds like something we can do.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you tell me again?

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Sorry the drawing is just not working and I don't have that tank anymore I upgraded to a bigger 200 gal tank.

But what I did was at each corner of the canopy (just enough to be outside the perimeter of the light assembly) I drilled a 1/4 " hole and I needed a 6" bolt to extend past my light bulbs. I tightened it with a nut and the at the end of the bolt I put another nut, then drilled a sheet of plexi to the same bolt pattern slid it onto the bolts and held it in place with another nut. I was worried about corrosion so I used all stainless steel bolts and nuts.

I hope you can visualize this

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
Why is water splashing on your bulbs in the first place? I have about 45x turnover in my tank and I don't see any splash marks on my MH bulbs and they're about 6 inches from the water surface.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My canopy must not be as deep as yours. My lights are about 5 inches from the water. It is an oceanic tank is all I know, and there are splash marks on the reflecter. I don't know why, but I know we will need the protection when we get the CLS going since it will be at the top of the water.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
TahoeMtn said:
Sorry the drawing is just not working and I don't have that tank anymore I upgraded to a bigger 200 gal tank.

But what I did was at each corner of the canopy (just enough to be outside the perimeter of the light assembly) I drilled a 1/4 " hole and I needed a 6" bolt to extend past my light bulbs. I tightened it with a nut and the at the end of the bolt I put another nut, then drilled a sheet of plexi to the same bolt pattern slid it onto the bolts and held it in place with another nut. I was worried about corrosion so I used all stainless steel bolts and nuts.

I hope you can visualize this
This is the best idea

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds good. I'll get my hubby to read it and get er done

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
I agree... Cover the light, not the tank. If hubby fears a midnight carpet surfing incident then cover the tank with an eggcrate lid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts