The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the TEK T5 light fixture (the 24") stays cool even with no fans? Does anyone have experience with this fixture? I've heard they're good fixtures. I just was wondering how it did without a cooling fan. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
T5s generally run cooler than MHs, mostly because they dissapate the heat over the entire length of the bulb. Generally t5 tanks do not require chillers. The fans within t5 fixtures are more to increase the bulbs effieciency than to keep you tank cool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
26 gallon bowfront. I'm looking to get the 24" TEK T5 fixture but like I said it has no fan. What do you think? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
i have the tec fixture and have not had any problems with it even with the acrylic shield but i did buy two small cooling fans that im going to retro in to the fixture when i get some time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
have you seen the Sundial T5HO fixture?
It has timers & fam built into a 24" fixture.
It also has the same reflector arrangement as the TEK & comes w/2 actinic & 2-10,000k bulbs

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
yep to help cool it, i dont need to do this the tec lights have plenty of ventalation but i like to get the most out of my equipment.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
my water temp only raises about a degree or two and the fans like george said will help keep the fixture cool pulling as much heat away from the bulbs and ballast will help to extend the life of my equipment and give me the optimum output.
by the way tec lights came out with a new fixture that has the fans already installed but they are some big bucks.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
My fixture(can't remember right now) the fan comes on with one of the sets of lights,so I have it come on with the Actinics,so it comes on 1st and off last.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The new tek t-5 fixtures have fans..

I have owned several of the older ones and have one on my 30 gallon m-tank right now. They are just fine with heat.. Like was posted already fans are to increase efficiency and also help the bulbs last longer... A tek t-5 fixture is plenty of light for that tank.. In my 30 it is almost to much light for some of the stuff I am keeping.

I do have fans on my tank hooked up to a ranco controller though and they do blow across the bottom of the bulbs if the tank gets to warm but it is more for the tank than the lights. The place I lived in can get really hot in the summer and it is a precaution if I am not how to turn the air on.

The reason I opted for a fixture with no fans is they are quieter and this tank is small enough I did not have to worry about efficiency.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
yep the fans are only to keep the fixture cool but i do hav a fan that blows across the surface of the water in the summer time if it gets to hot. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts