The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Work & kids have finally caught up with me....I'm tearing down my tank. Don't be too bummed for me, I plan on setting up something bigger and better down the road...say a few years from now. The final straw was several plumbing problems I've been running into lately. But the main reason is I just don't have the time with working full time & 2 little ones to keep the tank up as it deserves to be.

Here's my question.....I want to keep the LR and sand. Do I just drain it and let it dry out? Should I put it all in the sun? I feel bad about killing the critters in the LR, etc. but I have some really nice pieces and want them for my next tank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have heard of people putting their LR out in the sun for several days but beyond that I'm not much help! I think I would do that and then wash it off with water and dry it again and then store it!:)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Ditch the sand..... It's not worth keeping long term...

The Rock...

I would soak it in a 10% chlorine bleach solution for a day or so....

Then let it dry out in the sun real good.... Then scrub it in fresh water with a coarse bristle brush to remove all the gunk and dead algae.... Soak in fresh water for a few days changing the water once a day... Then let it all dry out real good...

Get some rubbermaid containers and store them in the sealed containers.....

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Now Buzz_Hog you explain things so well! I knew there was a couple of things I left out and you cleared it up for even me!:)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
You know, if it's southdown sand, I might just keep it, as hard as the stuff is to find... (but that's just me. It might not be worth the work.)

Rinse it well, let it dry and store it in buckets. I'm thinking a kiddie pool or tarp with the edges raised up + garden hose would be a good rinsing system. You'd lose the silt, but it'd be clean and reusable.

Danielle

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Mrs Smith said:
You know, if it's southdown sand, I might just keep it, as hard as the stuff is to find...
I agree...

You might just take everything out except the sand and rock and let it run, use an auto topoff and just let it run, amybe snails and crabs to keep the algae down... You don't have to maintain much with a LROWLR system :rolleyes:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys...I'm really bummed about having to give up my corals....I bought them all as small frags and grew them out to nice show pieces. But I figure I'll chalk it all up to gaining experience towards setting up my BIG tank down the road.

And to top it off the guy who's buying my corals (at a great deal) offered to give me some frags when I'm ready. That's if I can rid them of the FLATWORMS that appeared when the water flow was shut off for a day. AAAAHH!

I emptied put all my corals in my refug and treated with Flatworm Exit Sat night...it killed a lot of them but not all. I'm going to give them another dose tonight....wish me luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good luck Allyson. Sorry to hear that you have to break it down, but it sounds like your priorities are in the right order. You'll no doubt have a great tank when you are ready.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts