The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm not totally tearing the tank apart, it is fully cycled tank. Right now my volitan lion is in it, before I get flamed I had a 55g spring a leak so I had to put him in something while I rebuilt his tank. Now his tank is recycled and ready to go I have this 37g tank to play with. The lights are pretty bad x2 25 w t5 h.o and I'm not going to upgrade them. I was thinking about doing like a feather duster forest on the bottom of the tank I think this might be kinda cool different colors and such, how does that sound? Plus I need some fish for the tank. I currently have o clowns, blue green chromis, purple tiger goby, blue hippo tank, flame angel and my volitan lion:bigeek: Looking for suggestions, maybe outa the ordinary to put in the tank, I don't mind spending money for a rare fish. My plan is a mandarin goby in the tank for sure!

Thanks TRT
brenden:jester: :beer:

· Registered
503 Posts
It's sounds like what you already have in a 37 is fairly well stocked. I hesitate to suggest another addition. Further, a mandarin needs a good size established reef with plenty a live plankton to graze on. Without that, most mandarins quickly starve.

· I don't like wet hands!
189 Posts
Well, my suggestion is to take out the Blue Tang - that has no right being in a tank that small, no matter how small he is, it's bad for his health.

As for the Mandarin, unless you get on of the aquacultured ones trained to eat prepared foods, you are just renting one. It WILL die from starvation unless you are going to spend a ton of money feeding pods to the tank constantly.

If you take out the Lion, the Blue Tang and forget the Mandarin, you may be able to put ONE more SMALL fish in there. You coul dlook at a Blue Spotted Jawfish if you have a deep enough sand bed. He was my favorite fish, when i had one.

Good luck.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my suggestion is to take out the Blue Tang - that has no right being in a tank that small, no matter how small he is, it's bad for his health.

As for the Mandarin, unless you get on of the aquacultured ones trained to eat prepared foods, you are just renting one. It WILL die from starvation unless you are going to spend a ton of money feeding pods to the tank constantly.

If you take out the Lion, the Blue Tang and forget the Mandarin, you may be able to put ONE more SMALL fish in there. You coul dlook at a Blue Spotted Jawfish if you have a deep enough sand bed. He was my favorite fish, when i had one.

Good luck.
No no no I don't have all those fish in the 37 hah that would be madness. Those are the fish I have in my other tanks the 37g is an open slate

189 Posts
OH! Thank goodness! I was trying to be nice:lol:

]Well, I still think a Blue Spotted Jawfish is awesome. TONS of personality. You could do a nice Purple Firefish. Maybe a more unique clownfish, like a Picasso or Onyx. There are a couple of nice Wrasses that will be OK in that size tank. Just research them first. Also, make sure they are reef safe if you are putting corals in there.

I still caution you about the Mandarin. i had one in a 46 that died and I was practically free pouring pods into the tank. I now have a 125 with a refugium and I'm still waiting for an aquacultured one. I'm taking no chances.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah I have to research mandarin a bit more and figure out how my fish guy keeps one so happy in his bio cube. It's just a fish I have always wanted, def my fav fish that I don't have hah. I've looked at jawfish before they are just really hard to come by in Illinois and arnt they pretty agressive ie only fish in the tank?

189 Posts
Jawfish are harmless. they are just hyper and don't like other fish, especially fast fish swimming near them. The couldn't harm another fish if they tried, but could stress them out. The ARE jumpers and you wouldn't be able to put firefish or gobies in with him. It's a choice, but they are so much fun to watch.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jawfish are harmless. they are just hyper and don't like other fish, especially fast fish swimming near them. The couldn't harm another fish if they tried, but could stress them out. The ARE jumpers and you wouldn't be able to put firefish or gobies in with him. It's a choice, but they are so much fun to watch.
I wonder if i could do blue jawfish, A pair of Picasso clown and like a mystery wrasse... wonder how that combo would work?? :thumbup: would be a pretty sweet looking fish tank i think..

189 Posts
Mystery Wrasse and a Blue Spotted Jawfish is a NO GO! I ALWAYS wanted a mystery wrasse. I finally got one - it was gorgeous - and all it did was try to kill the Jawfish and chase it out of it's holes.

Sorry, that WOULD be pretty sweet though! Also, make sure whatever wrasse you get will be ok in that small a tank.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mystery Wrasse and a Blue Spotted Jawfish is a NO GO! I ALWAYS wanted a mystery wrasse. I finally got one - it was gorgeous - and all it did was try to kill the Jawfish and chase it out of it's holes.

Sorry, that WOULD be pretty sweet though! Also, make sure whatever wrasse you get will be ok in that small a tank.
well thats kinda a bummer.... who knows maybe u just got a really angry one tho..

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly, but I was warned they can be aggressive by nature. It sucks, i really loved it.

Lemon Peel Angel is a good idea. Very nice fish!
Yah i think i will do one of those and the blue dot jawfish, maybe ill get a less aggressive wrasse like a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse still really pretty but they are peaceful. Maybe something else purple like a Royal Gramma or something

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Careful with the Royal Gramma. they can be aggressive in a small tank. The Wrasse is a nice idea. Colors will be good together too!
Yah any suggestions for a really purple fish like the Gramma then? my wife wants a purple fish...... i cant spend money if i dont make her happy lol

189 Posts
h...... i cant spend money if i dont make her happy lol
I HEARD DAT!! Happy wife.....happy life!! :lol:

Well, if you want a Jawfish, you are going to need a lid, or good screening - otherwise it WILL get out, trust me:mad: If that's the case, you could go with a Helfrichi Firefish or a Purple Firefish and "hopefully" they will get used to each other.

Can't guarantee that will work well, though. Other than that, the Purple Dottyback would be just as aggressive as the Gramma, I would think.

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I HEARD DAT!! Happy wife.....happy life!! :lol:

Well, if you want a Jawfish, you are going to need a lid, or good screening - otherwise it WILL get out, trust me:mad: If that's the case, you could go with a Helfrichi Firefish or a Purple Firefish and "hopefully" they will get used to each other.

Can't guarantee that will work well, though. Other than that, the Purple Dottyback would be just as aggressive as the Gramma, I would think.
Yah for the top I will get egg crate or put a tight screen on the top. Bout the purple fish we will have to do some more research maybe

· Brutal Reefer
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.