The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Typhoon 111 ro/di unit. Along with it I also ordered a TDS unit. I really don't understand what it is suppose to do but I ordered it any way. When I test reg tap water it reads 082 when I put it in ro water(not from my new typhoon its not hooked up yet) the tds reads err. The instructions it came with really doesn't explain what I'm suppose to be reading. Am I doing something wrong? The TDS unit came from airwaterice it's a TDS-3 tds/temp HM digital

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hmm...I have a TDS meter, but I am not sure if it is the same one. It sounds like it is working since you are getting a reading on your tap water, not sure why it is not working on the RO water. Try again, but first rinse the unit off and let it dry. Mine has a little button to turn it on...that is all I have to do. Just put it into a cup of water (there should be a line on your meter that you need to have the water match). Let it sit for about 10 seconds...check the reading...

Let me know what happens...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frank here is a pic I will go try again and let you know what happens. I dont see a line

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved I was just sticking it in the tub of ro water. When I put the water in a glass(as I did with the tap) it reads 158.
What numbers should I be looking for? What does those numbers mean?

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
0 is what you want.

TDS is total disolved Solids - In reef terms - bad stuff.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Hmmm, I think you probably only need to put the bottom piece in the water...wish your instructions told you. Not very good huh. Those numbers (from what I understand) are the particulates in your water (Total Dissolved Solids). So you should be reading 0 in your RO/DI water and some higher number from your tap.

I had the same problem with mine the first time I used it...it read high for my RO/DI water. Not sure why, but I put it away and checked it a few days later and it worked fine, I was reading 0 or very close to it.

Try it again...

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Frank
The reading may be correct because the ro water I'm testing is from the cheep ro unit I bought a few months ago on ebay. I will test it again.
Atlest now I know what to look for.
Patrick

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked it again my tap water reads 040 my r/o water reads 178. Maybe it's dyslectic?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Wow...so according to that, your RO unit is putting stuff into your water?!? You did say at one point I think that you were getting some flakes of something in the water, right? Maybe the filter is bad...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey new to the forum but may be able to help...

I do know that when demineralizer resin becomes exhausted, instead of replacing dissolved ions with H3O+ and OH- to create water, it will begin to release the ions it previously trapped. Therefore a high TDS, potentially higher than the incoming. Not quite sure how a RO membrane bahaves, but i don't think it would increase your TDS reading. Other than that, maybe the samples were switched?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks anwallac and welcome to trt thanks frank
i will make a new batch of ro water once i get the new ro hooked up and check it then

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Here we go again!:rotflmao:

Did you flush the system first. You need to let this thing run for a good 30 minutes when new!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Ok I see your using an old RO system........

Does it have DI??

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Did the New TDS meter need calibrated???

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Oh yeah and going back to you high TDS readings. RO membranes are prone to TDS creep. Basically when you just run a very small amount of water out of these often you get very high TDS at first.

It is better to run the RO system for large water quantities or allow a few gallons to filter before ussing that water for the aquarium.

A dual inline TDS meter would be ideal for this as it attaches in line so *** soon as you see the TDS at just a few after the RO Membrane you can start using the water for the tank!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok let me see if I got this right. Since I will only be using it for water changes (25 gallon every other week) let it run in the sink for awhile(an hour?) before I start storing the water?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts