The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my vision:

The 46 bow is mainly just for growing out all those encrusted bottoms on my live rock from my corals, but I think it would be cool to do a TCMAS theme tank. Where all the frags come from TCMAS members. I would like to do a page, and list each frag, and who gave it to me for the tank on the website. I then could measure growth rates, and keep a photo journal of them. I was thinking it should be mainly a sps tank, with a few softies LPS as the sand space is limited and the softies and such tend to have expand or have long tentacles and would inhibit surrounding corals. So far I have:

Orange digitata (Dirk)
Green digitata (Tricky Blue, WI)
Blue tip staghorn (Michael Sandberg)
Purple rim Cap (Michael Sandberg)
Purple Monster (Capman)
Cabbage (Capman)
Green&Red Shroom (Capman)
One rock with Variety of zoo's promised by MNREEFMAN

So if you have something a little different or just an "oops" frag I would appreciate it, and if possible a history of where it came from.

What do you guys think?

Additionally, I have a couple of subdomains for free usage on my website if any of you want to have one. The address would be:

http://www.yourname.stoneyreef.com

I would ask that it have some content and not just under-construction signs all over, and that you optimize all photos etc etc for the internet, IE smaller file sizes. While I have a huge amount of bandwidth with the new host, I need not go over it! Anyhow if your interested, let me know!

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Not trying to rain on the parade but.......

Many people in the club ( as well as across the country including most all of the coral farmers ) have red bugs on there acropora whether they knowingly do or not.

If your tank isn't already contaminated it's a VERY high chance it will......

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
If you don't know what you looking for you could easily have them and not know it. That's basically how they get spread around. So far, everyone in the club that has acropora that I have seen there tank in person has had them upon close inspection , most didn't even know it.....

You really have to know what your looking for. They are very small. They look like orange/red dots. Look in one place and watch for movement. You can also see them moving in and out of the polyps.

I am convinced they are harmful. Polyp stop opening up, coral fades, growth stops or slows down. Some corals more effected by the bugs than others...... Mostly only acroporas.

There are some thing you can do to help. Higher flow seems to be the best at controlling.

The two you mentioned that would be highly suspect would be the purpel tip staghorn and monster..... If you put any corals in the tank with red bugs these would most likely get infected.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I never thought I had them,
but....I do
I noticed them last time I traded frags with another club member I called him right away and warned him, but I don't know how it turned out.
Mine are Bright yellow in color though no red or orange that I can see. I threw a frag under the microscope and they look like little ticks, creepy actually. I have noticed no detremental effects as of yet and my corals seem to be doing well after my last pump outtage episode.
My view is that the Jury is still out on the tiny bugs that are yellow, the red ones I would have to take the word of all the peeps that have said they are bad.
HTH,
Toy

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Matt, Bummer you couldn't make it to the meeting this Saturday. Would have been a perfect opporunitity to see if they are the same or not. I took some pics of the red bug with my camera when he had it on the big screen but not for sure how they turned out. Also because the little guy was squeeshed on the slide the appendages where real visable to know if had claws or not. They were yellow with a red butt and head.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toyfreak, I will set you up, that leaves two more domains left.

We have to split 5 gig. So far have used 13 mb this month.

Let me figure out how to set it up with the new host and I will get ya rocking!

·
Registered
63 Posts
You guys are not talking about the red planaria flatworms, are you? Doesn't sound like it as the planaria is quite easy to spot, especially when you have a few thousands like I have in my tank.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I didn't want to mention the name of the person I innadvertantly infected but He assured me today on the phone that I have the same bugs, but that he was already infected. Strange though at 50X-100X I saw no other color than a vibrant yellow with a darker shade around the front. maybe after I buy one of those neat Intel photo microscope I can share pics, I have seen them on E-bay for around $35
Thnx,
matt

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Stoney,

The only reason I brought it up was......

Be careful what you ask...... It's ashame frag trading has become like sexually transmitted disease where you need to know who your donors are......

G

·
David Grigor said:
Stoney,

The only reason I brought it up was......

Be careful what you ask...... It's ashame frag trading has become like sexually transmitted disease where you need to know who your donors are......
what a analogy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.