The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often my tasseled filefish gets constipation with an enlarged abdominal area. It has happened once before when I fed it cockles but I havent since that and that was a fair few months ago but now it has happened again and I am just feeding its normal diet of brineshrimp and mysis. It seems to last for a while and can be quite stressful for the fish and it looks pretty painful too. But is this quite common for filefish and should I be concerned?? its not frequent and I havent seen my other fish experience it.

The filefish hasnt gone off its food though and seems his usual lively self but can get quite stressed that it cant relieve itself. The only small change i have made to his diet is that the brineshrimp i got from the LFS has omega 3 in it for vitality, I usually feed brineshrimp with garlic or spirulina in it, would this really make a difference. I started feeding the omega 3 brineshrimp yesterday.

many thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed it 3 times daily. one cube of brineshrimp in the morning, lunchtime/afternoon and evening. The fish has kind of started to go to toilet but not much at all, there is still the enlarged abdominal area but when it does go to toliet it looks like its been eating some of the hair like green algae on some of the rocks. the fish does seem to peck that algae a lot. maybe this is the reason??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This constipation thing has been going on since yesterday evening. before it was only a few hours. should i be concerned or shall i just wait. filefish still isnt bothered by it, still waiting for more food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts