The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;
As I'm sure most of you know I'm new to reef keeping and Ive been having problems with my nitrates.:angry: I've removed all my bio balls sponges and pre filters. Ive done water changes every week for the last 3 weeks I've cut the feeding of my fish back to every other day. I'm hoping my nitrates will soon start to drop. I have checked them in the last week because I promised myself I would wait at lest 3 more weeks to see if they drop. I know most of you use revers osmosis water and I would love to have a ro unit but can't afford one at this time. Upgrading to MH and buying a new skimmer has put a bent in my budget . While at the lfs the salesman told me about "tap water filters" he said they are the poor mans ro unit.
Have any of you used them? Are they any good? Or should I just hold off until I can get a ro unit?
I have a 150 gallon 20 gallon sump lr ls and corlife skimmer.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Hold off! The filters in those don't last long without the other filters that an RO unit has. They are expensive to replace as often as you will have to.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
I think I got less than 50 gallons (about 1 month) out of mine, whereas my RO unit last a little longer than 6 months without changing filters.

My Tap Water Filter is sitting in my basement collecting dust.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so big diffrence. I could prob buy a ro unit for what I would spend in filters. I thought there had to be a catch.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I used to use the "Tap water filter" as well. I think it's made by aquarium pharmaceuticals. It's basically a carbon filter followed by a DI chamber. The amount of water that you can produce depends on what your water source is like. With my home's water supply, the water coming out of the faucet has about 42 ppm of TDS and I got just about 50 gallons of water out of one cartridge, some people get more. One thing that I noticed with the cartridges is that they tend to separate out into layers and form streams where water bypasses the DI bed. It didn't happen with every cartridge, but on some of them. I have since switched to RO/DI and have no regrets. Got a used unit off ebay for about $60. I would recommend doing the same - by the time you pay for the tap water filter and a couple of extra cartridges, it's the same amount of money.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI Hng
I just checked out ebay. They had plenty of new ro units but no used. I did a search for used reverse osmossis. I will keep checking. I would gladly give 60 bucks for one.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Partrobe - there are always people looking to get out of the hobby or upgrade to a bigger unit. Keep looking and good luck!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
RO/DI is the only way to go. de ionizer (sp?) It is the only way toi realy remove what the municipalities put in the water. Also, when you find one make sure it uses common replacement filters and has a company behind it for service.

Robert

·
Registered
345 Posts
I got one on ebay for 100 bucks 30 gallons per day and takes 5 days to fill my tank but they are not that expensive

of course I bought that before buying lighting but I am new and have been told u must get the RO .

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok No tap water filter for me. I will keep my eye out for one on ebay. How did you do your search on ebay? When I search for used revers osmosis I get nothing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts