The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi! I just started this hobby and i was wondering weather i should invest in rodi water or just use tap water, or would it even matter?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
It depends on your specific tap water and what type of tank you have and your intentions with it.
Your average tap water is not the devil that most people make it, but it's close. When you get into a reef with high intensity lighting RODI water is much much better.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
BS.

Never even consider tap water no matter where you live.
I am a water treatment plant supervisor and operator by profession with over 35 years experience and while I would not hesitate to drink tap water anywhere in the US I would never even think about putting it in a reef system.

You want consistency and you will not find that out of the tap, too many variables over which you have zero control. Its not just the treatment plant you have to woory about but the pumping, transmission and distribution systems too. All it takes is one broken main down the street, or a backflow incident to wipe out your tank and you wouldn't even know why. Its not worth the risk.

If you are serious about the hobby, do it right the first time and you never look back.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
BS.

Never even consider tap water no matter where you live.
I am a water treatment plant supervisor and operator by profession with over 35 years experience and while I would not hesitate to drink tap water anywhere in the US I would never even think about putting it in a reef system.

You want consistency and you will not find that out of the tap, too many variables over which you have zero control. Its not just the treatment plant you have to woory about but the pumping, transmission and distribution systems too. All it takes is one broken main down the street, or a backflow incident to wipe out your tank and you wouldn't even know why. Its not worth the risk.

If you are serious about the hobby, do it right the first time and you never look back.
+1 And welcome to TRT. Well....+1 on AZ's comments, not that I am a treatment expert with 35 years experience :lol:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Get the ro/di, I started with tap and am kicking myself in the rear for doing it. The headache you save yourself is worth the cost.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Always a topic of heated discussion between fellow reefers!

Honestly with a good stress coat applied and a very in-expensive startup API tap water filter this is a very good start w/o spending 100-200$ then you can nail down the art of your system and even if you enjoy the hobby or not.

Also LFS you can buy RO or RODI water from for cheap. Or local grocery stores even have usually a RO system for drinking water for around 30-40 Cents/gal you can apply stress coat and that's even better than tap. Maybe not as great as a true RODI setup designed for aquarium use , but better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i use tap on my fish only tank but ever since i started a reef tank i only use ro and would never consider using tap on my reef tank.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
I would choose RO/DI anyday, but if your looking forward to a nutrient-high system, you could use tap water...maybe. I think it depends on what kind of system your running.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Fish do not deserve any lower quality water than corals do, in fact they are a higher life form which means it should be better.

The API tap water filter is mediocre at best and usually good for between 15 and 30 gallons of treated wate rif used properly. Most of those who report success with one don't even have a TDS meter so really have no idea if it works or not. Its usually not!

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
The water is the most important part of the tank and the one we can most easily control (IF we work at it). I wish I would have gotten the RO/DI before I started. I started the tank with tap (thankfully, we have great water where I am at so it wasn't too bad), but once I found TRT, I switched to RO/DI, buying it from my LFS. When I add up the costs of 2 years of water changes for a 175g....ouch :fistcash: The RO/DI unit is one of the best investments you can make. If you choose not to, then at least get the RO/DI water from the LFS, or the RO from the store while you start up and decide if you are going to be in the hobby long term. I would avoid tap unless in a dire emergency.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What about for the initial fill to cycle the tank? Since most of it is going to get changed out before much of anything live gets added.

I've got a rodi unit to install, with one 35gl barrel. Will take me a few days to fill the tank with it. Otherwise, run the garden hose, add salt, and lt it cycle for a month or so with a couple of 25% water changes.

Am I getting off on the wrong foot?

Our water is really hard here, probably has a lot of disolved solids. Southern Calif - hard water central.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
Our water is really hard here, probably has a lot of disolved solids. Southern Calif - hard water central.
Wow, I never knew that! I thought it was just my water... now I know why it always shows up in the 200s on my tds meter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, I never knew that! I thought it was just my water... now I know why it always shows up in the 200s on my tds meter
Yeah, a lot of our water comes from the Colorado. You ever been over there for water sports? It spots so bad on boats and gear they make a special cleaner called DUCKY just for the hard water.

Is high TDS really bad for an initial fill?
Everybody just calls it calcium, but that's probably not what it is. My pool gets a white ring around the water line on the tile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts