The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a 10 day vacation, and had to resort to my father in law to take care of tanks. Well, after writing a page of instructions, adding the basic mix of liquids, and feeding them, I came home to a nightmare. I found that a medium size can of reef complete flake food was half empty. Apparently he fed my 75 gallon Peacock tank 4 or 5 times more than he was supposed to. Then on to the reef tank. I guess a few cubes of mysis shrimp and another "Pinch" of flake food was added daily ( I told him 1 cube and a teaspoon of flakes every 3 days). my phytoplex bottle was 1/3 gone, and I assume too much Coralvite and Iodine was added as well. Also, the timer for my skimmer took a dump, and went still for the 10 days. The worst part was coming home to a heat wave. The tank was 93 degrees, and the ac was turned off. I guess he was trying to save us money. The good thing was that nothing seems to be doing bad, and water tested out great. It's back down to 79, and all corals are open and looking as good as they were when we left. I hope everyone out there has someone with knowledge to take care of their tanks when they're gone. I think next time if I can't find someone I'm taking the tank with me. :beer:

·
big fishy
941 Posts
Man I didnt need to read that. :) I leaving for 7 days on Saturday and my son and son in law will be watching the tank.
Im having them do the absolute min and I am hiding everything (food, chemicals, etc) except the things Im leaveing instructions for.

Wish me luck,
Ken

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
My heart goes out to ya...

If I'm out of town for 3 days or less, I just have someone stop over and make sure the power's on and there's no water on the floor ;) No feeding - nothing. I set up a gravity-type drip for top-off. It's all virtually fool-proof unless power (or gravity) fails me...

Anything longer than that, I make up serving sized rations and tell them one serving per day. I have them do top off to a clearly marked line. I figure that's the essential stuff and anything else is better off not being done until I'm back home. All the dosings and stuff...there's too much room for mistakes. I find that keeping the inexperienced sitter's duties to a minimum is in everyone's best interest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put all of my food in little Dixie cups in the freezer. That way they don't add too much food - one Dixie cup per day.

I'm going away for two days, and I'll just leave everything sit. Of course, my fish might be a little mad at me for not feeding them, but they'll get over it, right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
why doesnt someone just start a lil buisness for that, if you go away ergetn its such a price, and the if its in advance it's ****

just let them go in feed, clean, and then leave.

i surgest its someone who u trust or you know someones who trust's em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.