The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bout a week ago there was a lot of back and forth about tank sizes.
I wondered where liveaquaria got the numbers they use, so I asked them. The response just came through:
Thank you for your interest in LiveAquaria.com. We are contacting you in regards to your question about the recommended tank size listed for specimens on our website. The director of LiveAquaria, Kevin Kohen, sets the minimum tank size for each fish based on his personal experience with these fish.

·
Registered
392 Posts
humm.. I think if you want large wrasses or tangs, I would want at least a 75 gallon. Anything smaller than that I would settle for a 50 gallon

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
haha! I kinda had to laugh at the "because kevin says so" response. :p I'm sure it's more detailed than that. You just got a lazy customer service rep. While it's very likely that Kevin has the final say in tank sizes, he has tons of experience - http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=10. I'm also sure he takes in the thoughts of the other experts at LA and the feedback of customers. Sometimes you'll see something upped - such as a yellow tang from a 75g rec to a 100g. I'd think this was because they got too much negative feedback from problems with the tang in a 75.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Me too! Hey, maybe there is a team of lab coated scientists. They just give their input to The Director. He's like the fish god or something. :p

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
I'd think this was because they got too much negative feedback from problems with the tang in a 75.
This. They were getting slack a while back for possibly misguiding minimum tank sizes. So now they are very generous with the sizes. Minimum tank size is really more like best fitting tank size, which really is the number you should want anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts