The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im in the proccess of upgrading from a small corner tank to a bigger L40xD18xH24 tank. Im gonna build the stand, hood, sump and other stuff i may need. I built a 3ft freshwater setup for my dad a few years ago but this build is far beyond anything ive done before, so wish me luck.

Im gonna keep this updated with pics and stuff and if anyone has any suggestions please please dont keep them to yourself :)

cheers
Ste

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I bought the wood the other week, im using some kind of light walnut wood, cant remember the exact name, its not solid walnut, its just contiboard plated with walnut, its way cheaper, and easier to work with so :), the only downside for the build is that over a long period of time water evaporating can cause it to expand and ruin, so to remedy im going to line it all with aquarium friendly varnish.

Im looking at putting a 2ft sump under the tank to house my heater, skimmer, return pump, carbon filter box, and if I have space a small refugium. also in the stand will be a few shelves.

I had the wood pre cut to my specifications so i'll probable spend the next few days triming it and modifying it to the correct sizes lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i was a bit behind with the posting so im just catching up lol..
I started making the hood, very basic design, im going to put 4 T5HO in and install some fans to cool them down. Ive got glass evaporation trays with the tank so evaporation shouldn't be excessive
Im using 18mm thick wood for the entire build. The hood sits on top of the tank and is almost 5" high.
For joining the angles im using L brackets, plastic joining blocks and wood glue.
If anyone want specific measurements for the build i can provide them if it helps but im no professional lol (but the finished product always looks good)

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, ive been getting so much grief of my wife for building this inside the house LOL. Well it is raining outside and i have no garage :bawling: Ive got to spend ages tidying evey night.
Anyhow, I built the stand.
Started putting the side pieces to the top, then the front and back supports, The following day I did the shelf section and added the braces.
I tell ya doing this, keeping all the screws hidden is frustrating. Id like to just drill screws through but that would ruin the finished product so ill just have to persever with all the internal brackets :rolleyes:.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok as for finishing the base off, did the shelves, and braces (although im going to attach the support struts better tomorrow or they just wont function)
fitting the doors was rather tricky, as there was no way to adjust them so I had to drill the hinges in the right place with zero margin for error :help: lol
Also did the edging strips which was no small task.
100_3566.jpg

100_3567.jpg

100_3571.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, just a quick update, I built the sump tank, I had to change the design quite a bit though, as i underestimated the size of the skimmer, and return pump.
100_3591.jpg

100_3592.jpg
Also I dont really have space for a refugium, unless 9"X4" would be worth it, not sure??
When i put the sump tank in there was very little room and it was really awkward to get the skimmer collection cup off and near impossible to change the trickle filter trays.
100_3596.jpg

So I decided to lift the whole stand up about 3" inches by putting it onto some wooden steps. I just need to apply the edging strips to them.
100_3599.jpg

I drilled a hole in the back of the tank and did the plumbing into the sump.
Quite easy actually, although you have to be carefull when starting off or the drill will just skate across the glass leaving some nice scratches behind.
100_3594.jpg

Oh and I also mounted some gradient blue background. I made a upva water mix and painted it onto the back of the tank, pushed out all the bubbles and sealed the edges with tape, (abit like car window tinting).
rather nice job, i think it looks really well.
Last but not least I put the sand in, ive went with coral sand.
and put 60ltrs of RO water it and a big pile of salt.
I'll be picking up another 120ltrs tomorrow and then top it up with water from my other tank.

I have a question, If I use my external filter and rocks from my aged tank in my new one will it still need to cycle? If so how long would you leave it?
Cheers
ste

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok that worked :)
right. the tanks looking good, ive got it all running and is now stocked with my old fish, didnt get an amonia spike at all, must have been due to running my old external for about 6 days. Ive emptied the bio filtration into the sump now and its all cooking great. It goes down through 3 grades of filter pads, up though bioballs across into another bio filtration, some into return pump which goes into U.V filter and back to the tank and some goes over to be skimmed and then though carbon and returned into the system. Note.. i would do things differently next time. keep the pumps away from the side as they transfer the vibration noise more if there close to the sides, and make sure you can get into the sump easily, ive left very little space and even had to put the stand on a frame so as to have enough clearence.
100_3652.jpg
also I made a wier to top fish getting siphoned as i heard they dont enjoy it very much, Oh on the overflow mine is really noisey, at first it was just a vertical down pipe coming out of the side of the tank so i thought id make it a V shape on its side, but this never helped at all, next im going to try flexi tubing and do a loop or several loops an see how that goes.
Does anyone have any tips?
100_3654.jpg
cheers
ste

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
nice cant wait to see the rest.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice cant wait to see the rest.
thanks

ok as for the glugging coming from the overflow ive been reading and i got 2 things to try, make a vent at the top to alow air to be released and reduce the size of the pipework on its way down to sump.
The over flow is 40mm so if i go down to 32 mmm that should be enough to not let any air down and let it go up though the vent, (lol well i know what i mean) failing that putting my sofa cusions behind the tank and around the drain works too, :)

ste.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
sounds good. the valve is done a lot. cusions dont sound to good. they may mold after some time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sounds good. the valve is done a lot. cusions dont sound to good. they may mold after some time.

LOL i was joking about the cusions, i did try it but it was only for a hour so i could watch a film with the wife,

I just bought a peacock wrasse, seems to have vanished into the sand now, I think 1-2 weeks is the time they take to emerge again LOL.

·
The camaro loving reefer
3,809 Posts
any new pics?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
any new pics?
well i got one for ya, ive been really busy, my wifes having a baby next wednesday and ive been taking down my freshwater aqua and my old marine tank ready for the new arrival.

Ive put a vent and a reducer in the overflow but its still really noisey, ive not given up, i think it may be the wier i made and the water is too turbulant in the pipe to the air water isnt getting a chance to seperate. so im going to add a horizontal section to the plumbing.
I simply refuse to be beaten by this...

oh yeah the pic lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts