The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. So im upgrading my 90g reef tank to 180g. The person im buying the tank from is giving me his sand also which is in the tank. Now how should i do the upgrade. Ive read that the best way to do it is to rinse his sand with ro di water then mix it with mine and add bacteria bloom. Or should i just buy new sand for 180g? im planning on using my 90g plus 50g water. Is there anything i should do to make the transition smoother????

·
Registered
912 Posts
i would rinse the sand in freshly mixed SW or waterchange water from your existing tank, if you rinse the sand in RODI all you'll accomplish really is making dead sand that is dirtier than sand you could have just bought in a bag. if you're looking to keep the goodies that he may have in sand then i would save a small tupperware of it and buy all new dry sand and then seed it with the tupperware.

no matter what route you take i would make a bucket of freshly mixed SW to rinse either old sand or new sand because new aragonite will be very dusty. add rock to tank if you dont have any rock support (egg crate etc.) and then add sand around rocks, then id put a dinner plate or something flat in the DT and proceed to quickly fill the tank spilling water over the plate so it doesnt kick up sand, they key here is to keep rock WET.

a less timely fashion method would be to just get the rock into the new tank with old water asap to keep rock submerged and then once tank is filled with water very slowly lower cups of sand into the tank to fill the bottom. this will take a little patience but you wont have to worry about the bacteria on rock dying fast

best of luck! and welcome to TRT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. so safest way would be to do a cup at a time but it would take too long. so no on bacteria bloom stuff?

·
Registered
912 Posts
you could always go bigger and say maybe use a small pail or even a plastic bowl, just remember to lower it slow and steady and then let it pour out over the bottom of tank slowly too. and +1 to what jerry said your tank has plenty of bacteria it isnt a new setup, just dont rinse anything in RODI so you avoid a mini cycle, same with keeping rock wet.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
There is never any reason to pay for bottled bacteria. You get it free anyway.
Instant anything is not as good as doing the natural way with patience. You will learn more about how your system responds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts