The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 gallon reef tank now and I am going to be upgrading to a 93 gallon cube. I was wondering what powerheads I should use for that tank. Right now I have 2 Koralia 1150s . I think I am going to need to upgrade them. What should I upgrade to. (total budget for powerheads i would like to keep under 200)

Jebao ( was thinking getting 2 rw8s or rw15s)

Tunze (only 1 Tunze Turbelle Stream 6065)

I have mostly sps and soft coral. May eventually get into sps not sure..

Just looking for peoples opinions on what i need

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
433 Posts
If I were you I would go Tunze or Maxspect gyre xf130 (currently running on my tank and I love it). I didn't have a good experience with the first generation Jebao WP40. Price was right but quality not so much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are 2 powerhead lines that seem to come out on top, the tunze and the ecotech line. I am partial to the ecotech because the motor is outside of the tank. Also you can get a battery back up that will see you through nearly all power interruptions. The jeboa seems to be the preferred low cost solution. I think any of the three would do you well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea i am struggling with paying 350 for one power head... not sure i can do it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Two RW 15s will be way too much flow if you ask me. I am upgrading to a 120 and I have 2 RW8's and when I was testing the tank for leaks I have them running. man those things move some serious water. You will probably be ok doing 2 RW8s dailed way down or one RW15.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Go with 2 RW15's You can never have to much flow and the RW's have such a huge range of flow. I have a frag tank with a WP40 and an RW4 in it...the tank is a 24x24x12 cube.

The WP pumps I dont care for. I have 2 1 works the other one can only run on high or low setting. I have the RW pumps and they are MUCH nicer you can tell by the quality of the pump and contoller they are much nicer then the WP's

I also have a Gyre on my 220g and I like it a lot I have the 150 and it can toss a wave accross the whole tank. They say 1 is enough but I have to disagree for a tank my size. Now in a cube like yours if you mounted it vertically in the corner and had a rock scape that didnt rest against the back wall 1 Gyre 130 would do the trick really well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleverbs I was going to put my rock structure in the center of the tank. That way might lighting will be strongest right over where my corals are.

I was thinking about the Gyre. I was wondering If i would have dead spots low and high (above and below the actual lenght of gyre) or does it spread the water out pretty wide

I also have two koralias that i can put in the tank and help with dead spots.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts