14,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, its been two and a half weeks. The parameters are as follows
PH-8.4
Nitrites-.10
Nitrates-10
Amonia-0 to 5
Temp-81

Still have coraline and have seen a couple unidentified critters. Water is super clear. I siphon every day to every other day. and do water changes about 3 times a week. Heres a pic.

Robert

·
Registered
256 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to do water changes during cycling? I read and heard this from a lot of people. Is there an advantage to this, or just a preference/habit to keep your mind busy while trying to be patient? ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,037 Posts
Robert- that is going to be great! I can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Deuce24 said:
I thought you weren't supposed to do water changes during cycling? I read and heard this from a lot of people. Is there an advantage to this, or just a preference/habit to keep your mind busy while trying to be patient? ;)
There are more advantages to doing changes during curing, than not, IMO. The main reasons I have heard for not doing them is the belief that doing so will remove beneficial nitrifying bacteria from the tank or slow its growth/colonization. IMO, this is not an issue since the bacteria will already be established in the liverock and is not going to be harmed by water changes.

The benefits include preserving more life on the rock that would be killed off if the tank were allowed to develop high ammonia/nitrites during the cycle. Many corals will survive shipping from ocean to your tank, but the ammonia/nitrites produced by the rock during cycling will kill most of these off unless water changes are performed to keep the poisons as low as possible.

Another bene is that wc keeps the nitrate and phosphate levels from building up in the system and fueling nuisance algae growths. You are going to get some, but you can certainly control it to some degree by removing organics from die-off (by wc and heavy skimming) befor they break down into ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and phosphates. ;)

Another bene is that toxins from dying organisms such as sponges and tunicates are less likely to build up and cause 'mysterious fish deaths'. New tanks can be very hostile to many marine fish which is why many species of fish are only recommended for well matured systems. Most tanks continue to 'cycle' for months after the initial cycle, even though testing shows excellant water quality. During this time many organisms in the rock that can not survive in captivity will gradually die off, releasing toxins and other chemicals into the system which can kill off fish and some inverts as well.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Doing great, Robert!!

Dick:)

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Love the look, cool how you raised your rock off the bottom.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Spanky!
Thats a big compliment coming from the bare Bottom King! The two pieces of Pvc in the middle are temp till I get strainers, they are intakes for the CLSs, and the aquascaping will change when I get some more LR!

Robert

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well done Robert!With that aquascaping and flow, you should have a tank that runs for years without any major problems.
Steve

·
Administrator
46,835 Posts
Robert, I gotta tell you that it looks great, I was really impressed with the setup when I stopped by. Now that it's in place if looks really sweet :D
Just don't get impatient, go slow and you will have a nice tank that you will enjoy for years :)

·
Super Moderator
27,037 Posts
Slow is good, Robert. Slow is good.

How about some close up pix of the raised rock. Really looks great!

·
Registered
414 Posts
yeah rob, your tank is going to turn out rufus!! It looks really clean. I especially like that stand you are using, is that custom made?

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup its a custom job. My Father in Law built it to my specs for my birthdat! He can build anything. You have to see it in person to see the details in the construction. He is a true craftsman.
Cath, Ill get some close ups of the rocks tomorow for ya!

Robert

1 - 20 of 20 Posts