The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the tank is clearing up nicely this am but the temp in the holding container is about 85F and main tank is only 76 at this point. Needless to say bringing that temp up as fast as possible and mixing water between the 2 tanks to slowly bring holding tank into right range and acclimate at the same time. As soon as they are close will start moving stuff, I have to cut the 1" pvc pipe to go from bulkheads down into the sump. Other than that its going well so far just painfully slow

------------------
I thought I was me, but we were wrong
email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Doug,just a tip:
Grease on fingers from turkey drumsticks will leave an oily film on the water's surface!
Remedy: Lick your fingers clean and use your overalls as a big napkin!

Hope it goes well!
Dick

[This message has been edited by FishDaddy (edited 11-23-2000).]

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Doug,

Be sure to eat some garlic with your turkey. With all the extra stress you're under ich is sure to break out.

Sorry about your loss.

Rick

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
Doug,
Really sorry about your Gramma and Cherub. I know you hated to lose them. It is a credit to you that you were able to do this move in so short of time under such circumstances. Lesser Reefers would have lost more.
Dick

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the angel and gramma... That has to suck.
I hope turkey dinner will be good though, good luck.

You are in my thoughts,

Sara

·
Super Moderator
27,230 Posts
Thumbs up and stand up for Doug!
He's a man with a plan, and never too smug.
He cares about his critters,
doesn't fritter, you bet not a quitter.
Working with smarts and speed
Was up to the deed,
Transformed a disaster
As a super reef master!

Don't call the poetry police on me

------------------
Cath

-La Dolce Vita

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all hope you enjoyed dinner. I made it to dinner finally, the drive was fine except the last half hour was in a blinding rainstorm. Several famous Portland microbrews have taken the edge off the near reef disaster
. Still bummed bout losing the fish but it makes less demand on feeding the system in my absence

------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last update before I hit the road. The corals aare in the tank and seem to be doing fine so far. Believe me I really hate having to leave this new setup, way too many things can go wrong but I have no choice. In spite of having the new tank and planning for this it has been a real nightmare doing it solo and under a dead line. Always prepare for the worst and have a backup to your backup plan, better yet Do Not Try This At Home. On a saddder note unfortunatly neither my 3 yr old Royal Gramma or my one year old C.argi angel where able to avoid the powerheads in the holding container and are listed as KIA. THis saddens me to no end as they were faves and their loss could been prevented with a little more forethought and time to act

Time to hide the mess and get dry clothes and head North.
Happy Holiday to everyone

------------------

·
Registered
592 Posts
Doug,

What did I miss. Why did u have a deadline?

As far as my new light goes, I will erect a tempory hanger to suspend the mini HQI hood from so I can raise it high for the acclimation period. Unfortunately it doesnt look like one will be enough so I will be adding a pair of 96w PC bulbs to it. Still have to make the hood, will prolly start that this week. I cant do anything till I get this crowd of people out of my house...so nothing till sunday earliest.

------------------
Bill Esposito
[email protected]
JAqua for the AquaController 2
http//cereal.mv.com/jaqua.html
My Reef Page
http//cereal.mv.com/reef
The box said "Use Win 95 or better", I chose better so I run OS/2!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill I was at work wed sposed to get of at noon and drive uo north for thanksging holiday with friends. Due to leakin tank and electrrical malfunction, the setup of the 75 was vastly accelerated and eveything was up and running in new tank in under 24 hrs. after putting corals back in the tank I had to make a 4 hr drive to be here in time for turkey dinner. Hopefully when I get home saturday no more disasters will have visited me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok the 75n was set up and dialed in as much as possible in the short time frame I had to deal with. Heaters were set at approx temp setting and that went well. When I got back ssunday bout 6 pm temp was holding at 79.8 degrees. One thing I didn't hook up was the top off container, and I was gona a day longer than planned. Return pump part of the sump was near dry and SG was up to almost 1.028 Slowly added water to the sump to bring it back in line and reconnecting the topoff system. Bummer is not only did I lose the 2 fish one of my big leathers has a hole in the center that extends into the stalk and both green colts are looking terrible. Came home from work tonight after stoppin at LFS and getting some Lugols Iodine to try and treat the damaged Toadstool. Unfortunatly the necrosis has spread farther down the stalk and the main stem is pretty much gone. Got handy razor and sliced off the healthy looking lobes from the crown, treated to Iodine dip and placed raw edges in substrate.
Colts still look like crap but I will give em a few days to recover from all the instability. 1115pm I went to add some RO water to the topoff jug and noticed dimples on the toad frags and a few polyps starting to extend. Hopefully a sign of good things to come. Everything else is doing ok or seems to be but I have found a few more empty trochus shells. Dont know if they are move casualties or victims of the few hermits I have left.
Alice gave me some sand from the coral tanks at her LFS and its got lottsa sketti worms along with BW and mini brittle stars, best thing is even in areas I didnt put it I already see new worm tracks in the sand bed

No detectable nasties chemicalwise so keeping fingers crossed. Considering what has transpired I am very grateful that the losses wern't higher and I wanna thank everyone for all the good wishes during this episode

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
Doug,

I'll be switching my 75 over to a 120 in the not to distant future. My question to you is how long can you leave livestock in the holding containers while waiting for the tank to clear because of the sand bed?\

Troy

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nowadays you can buy a 50-75 gal tub at Home Depot for under 20 bux. I would think with the proper lighting/heat, and circulation and the old water you can keep livestock in there for quite some time.

------------------
Bill Esposito
[email protected]
JAqua for the AquaController 2
http//cereal.mv.com/jaqua.html
My Reef Page
http//cereal.mv.com/reef
The box said "Use Win 95 or better", I chose better so I run OS/2!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey GL if you have a suitable sized container like Bill said its not so bad, you can use your heater and stuff to maintain proper environment for several days if need be. HAving the time to do it right and on your schedule is the trick here. I swear I will never have another tank in the planning stages,twice now I have been forced to do the move before I was really ready. Fortunatly what I have left to do is all exterior stuff like change over the sump pump and build a proper matching hood. Take your time and plan it out before hand and be prepared to give the new tank at least 3 days to settle down and make sure temps, SG and all the paraphenalia are working properly and time it so you can be around to watch it close for a few weeks

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
You know its funny because for some reason I couldn't envision this job with a big container. I pictured my living room all full of small containers. I may even be able to use my skimmer on the holding tank. Things are looking up!

I'm glad to hear things are doing alright for you Doug, that's a hell of a job to rush through.

Troy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to big old icechest off my raft cause I was concerned about temp drop but if I did it again I would have spread it out between a couple of large rubbermaid tubs. I was more concerned about getting thru the night rather than a few days. One big tub is less apt to get you in trouble with the lady of the house than a bunch of small ones scattered all over. Sara can Sashi come spend the night some time I have some hermits I'd like to introduce him to

------------------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts