The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to jlscrug for the new rock. I was able to take some of my old rock and start cooking it. Since everything was changing, we took the time to re-aquascape as well. As you can see, there is plenty of room for frags, so all donations are welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
tank looks fantastic stan, been thinking about getting the 72 when i finally out grow my 46, in that pic of the candycanes, the bottom one has a "swelling" in the center to the left, what is that? ive been trying to get a shot of mine doing that, but i cant, so no one can help id it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what that is myself, other than the candy cane filling with water. They seem to swell when the lights are on, but I only see the sweepers when the lights are off. The candy canes did not like the rearrangment, and the larger set is melting a little. It doesn't help that one of my fish keeps moving it to make his favorite new pathway through the rocks larger....So I moved it tonight and used some epoxy to glue it onto the center rock. If the fish leaves it alone long enough for the epoxy to set, I should be good.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
hey i just remembered, i can donate a ton of pulsing xenia, and some other type of xenia if your a fan of it. i think the stuff is great, but its gettin big fast, so if your interested, i can start cuttin and attaching it some rock for you. let me know. im in newnan, so you can either come get it, or i can meet you somewhere.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nice. What is the lighting system you have for the tank? Can you tell me about it. I"m looking for something like that for my 72.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a T-5 setup. I got it from our sponsor reeftanklighting.com. The description is:

Sunlight Supply 48" 54-Watt (8) lamps T-5 Tek Light

I also ordered the optional mounting legs, because I don't like putting holes in my ceiling for suspension. But I did have to call Doug directly to get them, he did not have them listed as an option on his site.

I like the T-5s, they look great, burn cool, and the bulbs last a bit longer than the other lighting systems. I have no issues with heat on my tank and I keep the glass tops on it. Even with the house at 75o in the afternoon, the tank never goes above 81o.

I still want to play some with the blend of lamp colors, but I haven't taken the time yet.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The swelling looks like the beginning of a polyp split. Sometimes you get wierd angles. It also might be a triple (or even a quad split, I suppose), which I've seen happen from time to time on mine. I think it happens because the split heads in one direction, but the light is in another. Not sure.

Nice candy canes, Stan. Mine are that color as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts