The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just transfered a 4 year old 30 gallon tank into a 110 gallon. I threw away all the old water but left the sand and just a little bit of water. I have noticed a lot of amphipods still in the sand,there where some micro stars in there too but I think that I picked most of them out. should I try to save the sand or throw it away ( It is pretty nasty) I also saw some pink and black looking brittle worms ( are those bad or good)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Few things first. What was in the 30 gallon? You need more rock and sand for the 110 and yes ditch the old sand. Adding sand and lr even cured could cause a mini cycle so are there any fish or corals? Usually when you move a small tank to a larger setup its best to set up fresh, let it cycle, then move any rock, coral, and fish when that is done.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
rodneyfisher said:
I threw away all the old water but left the sand and just a little bit of water.
argh. I think you did this backwards. Should have tossed the sand, and kept the water! Was it a Deep Sand Bed(DSB)? or Shallow sand bed(SSB)? (how deep).

If it was a DSB, you might be in trouble. The bottom layers of a DSB have stuff that is toxic to the water if released.

wait for others to chime in.

Also, need to know what was in the tank. Critters, etc?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Agreed, you should've kept the water. I have also transfered a dsb between tanks and been fine. I moved it in layers to minimize the disturbance and it was only about 6 months old, not 4 years. If it is a ssb and you want to reuse it, I would rinse as much as you can. ''What is in the 110 now? That might influence what you want to do with the sand. It is definately much more of a risk to reuse a dsb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts