The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us that were not frag-pit diving :D at the meeting this week were discussing tank tours.

Why again is it that we don't do these? Too many members? Too worried about a bunch of strangers tromping through one's abode? Granted, I don't see 100 people hanging out in Kayla's bedroom as practical, but still... :nuts:

Once I get my puny 125 finally going, I'd be happy to have a get together at my place. I'm told I have to get a self-cleaning Deltec first. :p

A lot of our members have really nice systems and I for one always appreciate being able to scope out other setups.

So how about it - can we set up some kind of informal system/schedule where people can sign up and show off their handiwork and livestock?

Anyone interested?

Dan

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
Hey Dan,

I am also in Lawrenceville! You have any frags to trade? I have plenty of zoanthids and a ton of yellow polyps in my 125... Of course I love to show off my homemade stand and canopy! My house isn't exactly in condition to host alot of people, still recovering from a flood (non reef related)!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sign me up. I love seeing what works for people. Reef tanks to some are an artform. I'm still very new to the hobby so I'm still absorbing what info I can from others.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy neighbor! Whereabout's in L'ville are you? I'm on the western edge, not too far from Discover Mills.

Nothing to trade yet, unless you count Xenia Elongata. That I have plenty of. :D

I do have some cool zoo's that are growing out from a frag I got at the December meeting, but it'll be a bit before I'll have frags of that.

Homemade stand and canopy, eh? Same here. Sorta. :) Homemade stand in the works on the 125, but it will have no canopy. The 29 has a commercial stand and a diy canopy.

As far as the number of people visiting goes - if this week's meeting is any indication, you can expect the turnout to be on the cozy side unless you promise to give everyone at least one free frag. :D

Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
I live in snellville, and would enjoy being a part of a tour fo homes. how about a friday happy hour kind deal, find us all on a map, pick a starting place, and maybe we could do something on our side of town first.

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
I'm in the area. I'd be willing to join in.

Every tour of tanks that was scheduled over the past several years has fallen through for one reason or another. We all think it's a good idea - it just doesn't seem to materialize.

If someone would be willing to head it up, then talk to me, and we'll let you loose on it!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, since I don't want to be one of those people who always make suggestions but never actually do any work, I'll volunteer to take the lead. :thumbup:

Eric - Friday happy hour might be cool for some, but it's probably a bad time overall. Given that traffic is at it's worst then, and since some of us have long commutes, that may not be practical. (Personally, I work in Marietta, and even if I take the bike and use the HOV lanes, I can count on it taking more than an hour to get home more than a few times a year.)

All:

My preference would be to try to do things on the weekend. I'm thinking perhaps do a noon start at the first house and then perhaps meeting at the next house two or three hours later. I don't think we should do more than two places a day since the shuttling around and all gets to be a drag. Plus, those of us looking to absorb tidbits will likely have cooked brains by then. :D

Since the hosts would typically be doing a bit to prepare their homestead for the visitors, how about if everyone shares bringing snacks and drinks?

Any of this work for y'all? Shall we try to plan something for next weekend? Say on Saturday the 25'th?

Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
MY SUGGESTION:less time at each place, more places. shuttling could be made easy with maps and directions. chris's house to mine is about 4 minutes, more like 1 if chris is driving, then we could head into larryville.
peace
e

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chris - now that I can make suggestions without getting stuck with the project - how possible would it be to make up a computerized map of Atlanta with an idea where all of our members come from?

It might help with planning tours as well as tank sitting.

Steve

·
ARC Member
707 Posts
SShindell said:
Chris - now that I can make suggestions without getting stuck with the project - how possible would it be to make up a computerized map of Atlanta with an idea where all of our members come from?
I had already started a Google map of ARC members for the ARC main site, but haven't had the time to get it going. I'll make it available this weekend.

·
little fishy
127 Posts
I volunteered my house in 2002 and 2003, I'm not currently a member but was before there was offical members. I've seen each of these fall through, but If you find you want one on the "other" side of town let me know I would be interesed also. Even if I have to join.

Rob

·
Monkey Man
409 Posts
wow...

Well, I am also near Discover Mills, The Landings at Meadow Trace, off Riverside.
Next saturday is bad for me, the ASMAS meeting at the aquarium! Anyway, I'd gladly give up some yellow polyps in exchange for some Xenia!
I work in Lawrenceville so my commute is really quite short!

·
Registered
808 Posts
i too am a non-member of ARC but would be happy to include my home as a tour as well. hopefully i can everything all tidy soon!
unfortunately next week will be bad for me, Ga aquarium is calling me too!

Sunday's? football is over now.......

·
Reef Geek
659 Posts
I'm in for a Saturday tour. I live in Cumming.

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
$7 a head I'll set up a tour of mafia beach!, $35 for an annual pass ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mafiaman said:
$7 a head I'll set up a tour of mafia beach!, $35 for an annual pass ;)
From what I have read here for the past several years that is a mighty fair price too Bro Hmm Maybe a six pack of Highnigins (sp) will get one through too I heard maybe through the basement door and up the elevators...lololol
Wonderful pictures I have seen here and the ASMAS sight Bro
I keep hoping to get across the Ga Divide one day and see it...
Cheers Bro
Dana:beer:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Count me in. I am in the planning phase of a 120/140 and would like to see others' setups. Nothing like lessons learned...

·
Banned
2,520 Posts
mycorize said:
Maybe a six pack of Highnigins (sp) will get one through too I heard maybe through the basement door and up the elevators...lololol
Cheers Bro
Dana:beer:
Are you insinuating that I can be bribed with a few beers?

Well maybe your right, Green Hinneys or Green backs, what's the difference ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts