The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i came home after a vacation and my air was completely turned off :angry:

tank one: redseamax over 100 degrees and within 10 feet from it , it has an odor and murky water. the one fish died and all the corals that can bleached are bleached and dead. my softies are all melted looking and horrible

tank two: 20long frag tank doesnt have a thermometer but doesnt feel as hot when i put my finger in it as the redsea, doesnt have an odor but corals are looking bad

right now im floating ice cubes in a ziploc and blowing a fan across both of them

ahhhhhhhhhhhh :(

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went tru that too!Go buy some bags of ice.I started out with 3 - 4 bags of ice,then I bought a clipon fan.
Yeah thats what Im doing, tanks down to like 88. might turn off the fan now because i dont want to shock the tank even more from a temp swing

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch...one of my worst nightmares...I have a generator that will take care of running the furnace if it's cold, but it won't do the AC if it's hot...sorry for your losses.
thanks Jnicho, ive always been concerned about the heat especially since i run a halide over my frag tank but to come home and actually it happen just really ruined the day

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lost so far:
Bubble Tip Anemone
Hammer
Torch
My Birdsnests ( Pink, green, and yellow)
Frogspawn
All my Caps ( Brown w/ blue tip and red)
Miyagi Tort
Blue Tort
All the Xenia
Green Star Polyps ( Neon and normal)
Button Polyps ( Neon green and brown)
Mixed Zoa Rock
Pocillopora's ( Don't know real color since they never fully colored up)

theres probably more I just cant think of them

· r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,227 Posts
That sucks man! Very sorry for the loss. Best of luck with everything. I'm sure, with time, you'll have everything looking great again.

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is horrible news Tim. Be sure to get all the dead stuff out and do a good water change (or 2) so the pollution from the die off doesn't finish the work of the overtemp.
Sorry to hear it.
Thanks, I did a 12 gallon waterchange this morning and probably will do another 12g tomorrow. The 20 long looks good but I still did a 4 gallon water change on it and moved 2 of the corals that were alive in the redsea over into it. The redsea is still cloudy and smells :doh:

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Sad to hear that your BTA that you guys have been nursing back passed away :bawling:
Definitely upgrade Tim, the larger tanks really do run themselves, I do 1/10th of the maintenance I was doing on my biocube on my 90 gallon and I have absolutely no problems.
The only problem that comes up with larger tanks is filling them with coral :rotflmao:

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sad to hear that your BTA that you guys have been nursing back passed away :bawling:
Definitely upgrade Tim, the larger tanks really do run themselves, I do 1/10th of the maintenance I was doing on my biocube on my 90 gallon and I have absolutely no problems.
The only problem that comes up with larger tanks is filling them with coral :rotflmao:
Yeah I know we spent a lot of time on it, it was the reason we even bought the tank :(
I guess the saying is true, all tanks crash, its just a matter of when

I was slowly collecting equipment for the 150g tank I planned on setting up, but I needed money for my car so I sold almost everything. Now I have to all over again :doh:

Ha yeah its really going to be hard filling it since all the coral I already had died :rolleyes:

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Well slowly filling the tank is the fun of it! I love watching my 90 mature. All the corals and rock were new (except for the 30 lb. of rock I added on later) and it's awesome watching all the frags grow and the corraline take over while tube worms and pods spread all over.

· Mantis
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well slowly filling the tank is the fun of it! I love watching my 90 mature. All the corals and rock were new (except for the 30 lb. of rock I added on later) and it's awesome watching all the frags grow and the corraline take over while tube worms and pods spread all over.
Yeah I know the filling part is fun, I'm going to try and make it SPS dominated with some random LPS and softies, im debating whether or not to try a refugium

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.