The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, in about three weeks, I'm breaking down my 500 gal reef and replacing it will an 850 gal reef. This tank will be unique in that it will have the same viewing panel ( 72 X 30 ); but, will have a depth of 90 inches..... which will enable the aquascaping to resemble a long, winding central canyon with corals on each side. I hope to break down the old tank and replace it with the new tank in 48hrs. To accomplish this, I have to build the components that need to be upsized in advance. This weekend, I finished the light hood which holds (12) 400 watt reflectors, plus (6) 165 watt vho's. The hood will be on a sliding rail system (just like the 500 gal tank). The next task is to build the stand extension.

·
Registered
807 Posts
WOW! TOO COOL! Any more pics or a website to see more pics on the progress?

·
Registered
807 Posts
I wish I had the money to have that power bill. And tank too.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
well, i was gonna post a pic of my progress today, and a pic of my canopy with the lights installed.. but uuuhhh any attempt would be moot at this point. i pale in comparison :)

that looks absolutely amazing steve.. i cant wait to see how it comes out!!!

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Wow Steve! The aquascaping is going to look incredible, especially with the corals in your tank. I wish you good luck on the switchover; what an undertaking! :eek:

Alice

·
Registered
27 Posts
OMG, very cool! the entire hood is on a track? why did you not fill in the upper left and right side w\ lamps?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i dont know since it's not my tank. but my initial thought was that is where the overflows are, and there was no need for a light over the overflow..

might be worng. but it's what i thought :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good question leester.. those gaps are over the rear of the tank and directly over where the tank's overflows are located.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gotta see the rest of the DIY picts for this thing

·
Registered
27 Posts
NICE! I love the cleanliness of the conduit and junct boxes. How many ballasts,? what lamps? mixed 56K, , 10K, 20K....????????

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thats a lot of light.....do you have a room to keep all the ballasts in??? Also, what power company do you use....I need to buy stock in that company.

·
Registered
27 Posts
oops too much computer stuff on my mind I meant 65K

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Actually, all the ballasts ride on top of the hood and slide from side to side with the hood. Here is a photo of my current light hood over my 500 gal reef. The new one will work the same way.

Power is not too bad here...We have lots of rain, lots of rivers, and lots of dams that produce cheap hydorelectric power...about 7 cents Khr.

As for bulbs...I like a mix of 10K's and 20K's plus my 6 actinic vho's

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks like all are your fans are pulling out instead of pushing in never had any corosion probs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey I got it. now I understand! Just thought you guys might enjoy a little humor

Attachments

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
that is a thing of beauty. reading and looking at threads like this are not condusive to my mental health. i must go now. i must make the bad thoughts go away.i must stop thinking of the bank loan second mortgage. i must not sell off my other worldly possesions to posses that which i dont have.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts