1 penguin 660 power head
seaclone 150 protein skimmer
Rena 3 stage cannister filter
and Coralife 30" power compact lighting system w/2
65 watt coralife 50/50 dual tubes, 2 cooling fans,
4 blue lunar and 2 white lunar lights on a coralife dual
timer power center

I know i'm a little skimpy on the skimmer, but after purchasing the chiller
i was a little short on funding. I'm looking for a bigger tank in the 75 to 90 gallon range, 48wX18dX21 or 25 tall.I'd like to upgrade to metal hallides but the expense is a little over my budget.If theres any used 90's out there let me know, i might be interested if the price is right.
I want to start a reef tank as soon as i get a bigger tank.

Inhabitants:
1 dwarf flame angel
1 maroon clown
1 blue damsel
1 powder brown tang or white face tang
1 yellow tail gobby
4 blue legg hermits
3 bumble bee snails
1 astrea snail
2 large Mexican turbo snails

50 lbs live rock
60 lbs live sand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll work on gettin some pics posted,haven't had the need to take any up until now.
i'm doing a 25% water change today and cleaning everything today. Been having a spike in nitrates which is normal i think. Its a little higher than normal this time, well over 80 ppm.OUCH!!!

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Water change sounds like it is definitely in order. Then it will be time to track down what is causing your nitrates to rise like that. What are you running in the cannister filter and how often are you cleaning it, as that may actually be your culprit.

You will find out very quickly that everyone loves to see pictures on this site. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using foam 20 (20ppi) pads in the lower basket in the canister, foam 30 in the middle basket, and activated carbon with the foam Micro-filtration pads in the top, i have been thinking i need bio-balls in the filter. Havent had much of a nitrate problem till the last 4 months.The tanks been established about a year and a half now.Oh i added a layer of Marineland bonded filter pad to the bottom and middle sections of the filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I clean the filter every two weeks, its recommended by the manufacture every two to four weeks but i've learned the more attention you pay to water quality, the better your tank gets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great looking setup you have Aqua. I'm looking to get a 75 or 90 similar to that, thats as large as i can go with the room i have. My little piece of the world is gettin kind of crowded. I have a powder brown tang the demolishes hair algea, he loves the stuff.Might be a consideration.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Yes, cannister filters are good but usually not recommended for reef tanks. The primary reason is they trap the detritus in those pads and as it rots it increases your nitrates. That may be why you are seeing spikes every now and then. A good experiment would be to check your nitrate level right after you clean the filter, and then every couple of days until you either clean it again or see the nitrates climb again.

Another option would be to just run it say 2 days a week in order to clear up your water if you feel it is needed.

Best of luck getting a handle on the nitrate issues.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Great looking setup you have Aqua. I'm looking to get a 75 or 90 similar to that, thats as large as i can go with the room i have. My little piece of the world is gettin kind of crowded. I have a powder brown tang the demolishes hair algea, he loves the stuff.Might be a consideration.
Thanks for the compliments. My tang load was pretty well maxed out, that is until my Powder Blue died yesterday. :( I have looked at the Powder Browns before and may have to see about getting a baby one of those. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Their beautiful fish,very active and they graze constantly,i havent had an algea problem to speak of since i've had him. I was in the Petco store in Austin and happened to see him in a tank and just couldn't leave him there. A value at $29.99.Might be worth lookin into, you wont be disappointed in the fish. I'll do a continual test on the nitrates starting today since its my tank cleaning day, thanks for the advice.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I'd take out the pads and carbon and just run it bear and add carbon when needed,that mite help on nitrates also look for a tank over 100,because powder browns need more room to survive a long time. And like you know a better skimmer will help your nitrates.Also watch out for your Coralife timer,they are know to catch on fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the timer, thought they were among the better timers out there.Whats the best skimmer for a large tank? You think i should the filter without the pads? For how long?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts