The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have four years till i go to college. I figured thats ample time to start a tank. I do have experience btw. I now have a 70g fowlr thats cycling and i ran into a snag, or a realization. I want tangs. Not only tangs but triggers. And 70g is not enough. Not close. I also realized that my setup sucks. I did not plan. My drain line is duck taped to the barb to keep it up. I concluded that this is not a tank that i want for four years. Luckily i haven't bought anything as my brother just broke down his reef tank. Also luckily, my next door neighbor(long time friend) just broke down his tank and is trying to get rid of it by any means. We agreed on a trade. My old longboard which i dont use anymore + 50$. Steal right? Its 150gs and i was thinking of making my 70g a sump. My question is since the length of the tank is only a little longer, do you guys think its worth it. What fish could i put in a 150 that i couldnt in a 75. Anyone have a 150 stocklist for me? Finally my concluding question is it worth it. Will 150 make a big difference in the type of fish i can keep. Is it worth breaking my 70 down. By the way i REALLY want tangs and triggers thanks

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

The bigger the tank, the better. I think that it is worth it to have a bigger tank, if you have the room.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Welcome!

I say maybe. If you want tangs and triggers, you need a 6 foot tank minimum... and that is a lot of tank for a HS student... and expensive to boot.

·
Registered
808 Posts
yeah welcome to TRT! I hope you do realize how expensive it is going to be to take care of that 150 gallon tank, especially if you want to have corals. As you will need LED lights that will cost you $1000's alone. But if you think you have the time and money to keep up with that tank. then I would say go for it, but take your time as I am learning that now. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide. I have a 140 gallon in my storage that I am waiting to set up till I get the hang of it and get out of college (I am using a 40 gallon now) so maybe you should do the trade and keep the 150 gallon in storage for a year or so till you know exactly what your getting into. But if I was you, I would definitely do the trade and get the tank. to at least keep in storage till you get used to saltwater, good luck man :)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I have a 140 gallon in my storage that I am waiting to set up till I get the hang of it and get out of college (I am using a 40 gallon now) so maybe you should do the trade and keep the 150 gallon in storage for a year or so till you know exactly what your getting into. But if I was you, I would definitely do the trade and get the tank. to at least keep in storage till you get used to saltwater, good luck man :)
Yep, some of us had to wait longer than others to "get out" :lol:

I have a 120g that I have in storage too but I waiting until I get back into a "college" full time. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts