The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm thinking about making a biopellet reactor using a plastic coke bottle. My problem is that when I search if this is safe, half the people say that food grade plastic is safe and the other half say no... It need a conclusive answer so I can get this thing going and I am hoping that you fine fellas can help :)

· Registered
775 Posts
From what I have read all food safe plastic is OK for a tank. If it wasn't I would have to question why? Why is it good enough for me to eat or drink out of but not fish? Also I have seen several youtube videos of DIY skimmers, filters, ATO's, etc., and they all use water bottles, soft drink bottles and the like.

· Reefaholic
2,738 Posts
I'm an not 100% on your answer, but just thought I would throw this out there.

If you live in the USA... just because something is food grade does not mean it is safe. Do you know how many "food" products are sold here that are banned in other countries? Just saying...

· Registered
1,333 Posts
Ok, so I'm thinking about making a biopellet reactor using a plastic coke bottle. My problem is that when I search if this is safe, half the people say that food grade plastic is safe and the other half say no... It need a conclusive answer so I can get this thing going and I am hoping that you fine fellas can help :)
Yes, food grade plastic is good.

And the best is polyethylene terephthalate (PETE), then high density polyethylene (HDPE) and then low density polyethylene (LDPE). If you are shopping for a good plastic container, look at the recycling label printed on it. If you see numbers 1, 2 or 4 inside that recycling triangle sign, those are PETE, HDPE and LDPE respectively.

See: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/recycling-symbols-plastics-460321#slide-4

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all of the replies.

i just found this

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general...-leaching-myths-facts-57828.html#.UpJJw8QqiSo

To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill.

which agrees with what mthreefoot said

· Registered
775 Posts
Is the recycle symbol of 7 ok. It doesn't specify what it is but acrylic and polycarbonate are listed as some of the plastics in this category. I have two returnable 5 gallon water jugs. the kind you get delivered to your house for a water cooler.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
number 5 is safe as well. my ato reservoir is a number 5, as is my ro/di storage and mixing bins. here are the resin id codes and what is in them.
Hm.. I just realized that #3 is PVC, same PVC we use for plumbing. So it has to be safe to ?

· Registered
47 Posts
Dug up this old thread rather than create a new

Hi all, looking for some chemical leaching expertise on a similar topic to this so I thought I'd dig this up rather than add another, if that's ok.

I am slowly planning and building a 500gal+ reef tank, currently have had one large glass tank built and bought the acrylic for the larger display.

Bear with me here as it this idea will sound tacky to many of you, it did to me until my wife explained it to me in more detail.

She has come across a life size human skeleton model, marked as "not a toy" and has decided she would love to build an aquascape around it in the display.
She is thinking that we could add rock around it so only parts are exposed and affix frags etc to it, particularly the rib cage so that fish could swim though and hide within it, like a lost soul at sea.

The info on the literature simply states that it is made from "latex plastic", my obvious concern before I really consider this is whether "latex plastic" is likely to leach toxins into the water.

Any help, knowledge, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Lee.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, looking for some chemical leaching expertise on a similar topic to this so I thought I'd dig this up rather than add another, if that's ok.

I am slowly planning and building a 500gal+ reef tank, currently have had one large glass tank built and bought the acrylic for the larger display.

Bear with me here as it this idea will sound tacky to many of you, it did to me until my wife explained it to me in more detail.

She has come across a life size human skeleton model, marked as "not a toy" and has decided she would love to build an aquascape around it in the display.
She is thinking that we could add rock around it so only parts are exposed and affix frags etc to it, particularly the rib cage so that fish could swim though and hide within it, like a lost soul at sea.

The info on the literature simply states that it is made from "latex plastic", my obvious concern before I really consider this is whether "latex plastic" is likely to leach toxins into the water.

Any help, knowledge, experience would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Lee.
Doeant sound tacky at all, in fact thats awesome :p. Im not sure about the latex, i dont think it is reef safe but u could always buy some that spray they use on the show Tanked. I have seen them spray all kinds of things and put them into saltwater tanks

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for that idea of coating the bones in something to seal it eHatz, I've not seen many Tanked shows, the fake corals they made in the first show I saw put me off a bit so never really watched again. Says the guy wanting a plastic skeleton lol :lol:

Would love to know what products could be used to coat them, a clear would be best that coralline will grow on. I remember there was a product called G4 Clear here in UK that koi pond builders used to stop stuff leaching into ponds though I doubt that would be saltwater safe. I will check though.

Glad you like the idea, I was expecting full on sarcasm tbh, still time though :p

Thanks for the speedy response too eHatz

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that idea of coating the bones in something to seal it eHatz, I've not seen many Tanked shows, the fake corals they made in the first show I saw put me off a bit so never really watched again. Says the guy wanting a plastic skeleton lol :lol:

Would love to know what products could be used to coat them, a clear would be best that coralline will grow on. I remember there was a product called G4 Clear here in UK that koi pond builders used to stop stuff leaching into ponds though I doubt that would be saltwater safe. I will check though.

Glad you like the idea, I was expecting full on sarcasm tbh, still time though :p

Thanks for the speedy response too eHatz
NP, i know the stuff they use on the show is clear but i dont know what its called sry :) tbh it probably will look corny at first but stick with it. I think once u get coraline and all different kinds of growth on it it will look really cool.

· Registered
47 Posts
I agree eHatz, will take time to look more realistic but then I tend to think most new set-ups look a bit 'unreal' until they start to mature into themselves so no biggy really eh :rolleyes:

Thanks igvm, so that's the stuff they use on Tanked is it? Have you used it yourself at all?

Btw, the better half, Samantha, has already decided she's calling the display "Sleeping with the Fishes" :p So I'd better find a solution now because we all know once something has been given a name, it's got to happen :blob:

· Registered
47 Posts
Just to update on the googling so far, seems some suggest a clear coat spray by Krylon, also seen igvm's suggestion mentioned.

Another is two part epoxy brush on, one claiming to have had a metal chain prop in a reef tank for 30+ years coated this way with no ill effects evident.

If anyone has anything to suggest these aren't viable I'd love to know beforehand obviously and anyone visiting this thread in future please be aware these are just suggestions not fact.

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks Phanesoul, that's what I was thinking too. This thing is very white though so I may need to coat it in something reef safe anyway to age it's appearance/make it look more real.

It is held together with metal screws which I will have to remove and stick the bones back in place with a reef safe glue or something. It also has some parts that look rubberised so these can't be pvc, I will remove these too as they are only the discs between vertebrae so would rot over time in the ocean anyway I guess.

I've never done the easy option :rotflmao:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.