The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - who thinks tank raised perculas will be anemone friendly? Anyone had any experience with these guys making an anemone their home - or since they have never even SEEN one before do they just ignore 'em like the other fish and live in the general tank?

I am wondering if instinct takes over here?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, my ORA ocellaris started out ignoring everything in the tank, but soon tried hosting with my MagFloat scraper, then my Goniopora, and now my Pink Tree coral.
I think it's instinctual for them to want a host, whether or not they come directly from the ocean... the ocean-caught variety just take to a host more quickly... the tank-raised ones 'know' what they're supposed to do, but get kinda confused as how to go about it. :D
At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well my perc never had any anemones in the tank till I took interest in anemones. I bought a condy because of its colors and the way it acted then I bought this anemone that my sebae host in but my perc wants it for himself. The perc was in this tank for 4 years with only lr.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK -I'll give it a try----and post pics when "it" finally happens :)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I've got a tank raised pair and they haven't showed any signs of hosting to any of the anemone's I have... Maybe one day, but not yet...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aaak! Buzz Hog - how long have you had 'em?

·
Registered
822 Posts
How long have you folks had your bubble tips? I thought they weren't supposed to survivie very long. Are they tank raised or wild caught? I've been looking into getting something to host a percula or ocellaris clowns (long story, see other post on this board). Have you had much success with the combination of BTAs and either true perculas or ocellaris clowns?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've never heard that BTAs do not survive long but I have had mine for a good 5-6 years. I currently have a pair of true percs in it, and before his untimely passing, my old maroon clown called it its home as well. Mine is wild caught I believe and has not divided in its years of captivity with me, even though others I hear have no problem with theirs dividing over and over again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i bought a small ORA tank raised A. Ocellaris when i setup my tank about a year and a half ago...about two months later (march 2002) i added a large magnifica anemone, and he "found" it in less than 24 hours...

he literally hasnt left since...only to eat...

HTH

brad

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow bigblue - I hope I am as lucky as you....that would be my dream since clown/anemone combos are one of my favorite things in a reef......its been about 18 hours now and the percs are not interested in the LTA but I will give it time........if they don't like it - it looks really cool under its rock (if it stays there!)

·
Registered
358 Posts
When I fist bought my Perc I didn't have an anenome. The fish just hung upside down in the back of the tank. Really depressed. I was thinking I needed to add Zolof to my water.
Then I bought a rose anenome. The fishes entire personality changed. He is highly defensive of the anenomes. He lunges at my hands when ever I get close to the anenomes.
As far as I can tell he didn't have an anenome at the LFS. I don't think its learned behaviour.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually just his 'butt' is under a rock (since his butt is orange I wouldn't mind if it wasn't under the rock) - the rest of hime is out in the bright light. He/She? is fully opened and really puffed out so I'll be interested to see if this is the "chosen" spot - or if there will be a 'relocation' to another area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts