The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 has a DSB with about #130 of LR plus the 2 refugiums, add another #30 of LR and calupera, and I was really wondering if I need the "Bio Bale" in my CPR sump any more? I'm also concerned that it might be raising my nitrates. I figure that the whole system has approximately 100 gallons of SW.

I came home from work tonight to find my Purple Montipora Digitalis looking bleached near the base and a couple of my other corals looking a little off. Everything else looked good and all of the fish seemed fine, xenia were pulsing. I tested the water and everything was normal except the Nitrates had sisen a slightly, they tested at approx 10ppm, Red Sea test kit, it was a little darker than the other night but not much, looked close to 10 that night also. I haven't fed in 2 days (that was a light feeding), nothing has died and the only change was that I removed the fiber filter media from my sump last night and I removed about 1/2 of the calupers from my algae refugium 3 nights ago (looked as if it was going sexual.

I emidiately added a bag of Ammo-Carb to the sump as well as a new piece of fiber filter media, threw another PH in the tank and used a pipe/syringe device (my homemade turkey baster lol) to blow everything off and stir up the bottom. I've also had a rather large Cyano outbreak in the past week or so. Looks like the refugiums messed with the stability of the sytem a little, probably made worse by the fact that my SB is not mature yet... :(

I'm also going to start making blender mush tomorrow to feed with so I can eliminate the LFS frozen foods (mysis, brine and such). I know to use some algae/nori in it as well as fresh seafood, garlic extract and I was going to pick up some Kent Zoecon(sp?)I don't have selcon. I figured shrimp, oysters, Sea bass trimmings (side benefit of the job... lol), squid? and possibly scallops (what about the preservatives that are used in the water pack scllops they sell at the store?). Sound good, anything else I should add?

Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Hey Don. Do you ever sleep? The white that you see at the base of your montipora is probably new growth. Look for them to turn into little nubs in a few days.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sleep? What's that,
:as he nods off at the puter ZZZZZZZ... lol :

yea I sleep about 4-5 hours a night. Insomnia is not fun nor is it a neat new word. Thanks I'll watch for the nubs. I knew that the new growth was white, the nubs already on it have been growing (the tips are white) and a couple new are there also. But the white near the base is just a lot larger of a patch of white that I was worried that something was causing it to bleach (die?) that and a couple of other corals looked a little "down". I'll post an update later when I see what happens. Thanks again for the response. I hope it is new growth... :dance: :dance: :beer:

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Don :wavey:

Maybe I can help with the food. Watch any "processed" seafoods, that includes those scallops. Most are processed with ortho-phosphates. Use fresh when you can, and just avoid what isn't. You don't have to be that particular, protein in protein. BTW most shrimp and crab is processed with it too. That's why you use very little. The shrimp protein acts to bind it all together like jello.
Oysters and clams are good to use if you have something that needs encouragement to eat. Salmon is good, brings out some of the reds and contains good oils, but again it's oily, so use your discretion. Baby vitamins are easy to add, and a lot of people are using Poly-Vi-Sol (or something like that?) liquid. Nori is easy to use to, add it according to what you're feeding. I found it's best to cut it up and blend it first. Oh, stay away from squid in the blender. You don't really need it anyway.
I'll use fish, crab, clams, shrimp, lobster, oyster - really any thing that's fresh.

HTH
Jerel

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything in the tanks seems to be looking better including the Montipora. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow Rick, I haven't been online since early this morning so I didn't see yours or Jerels post... :( Also I repositioned the torch coral over a little, after watching it in the water flow I realized that it would periodically touch the Montipora briefly. I don't know that it's a problem but I figured it couldn't hurt to move it. Same with the carbon, even if nothing is actually wrong the carbon won't hurt for a few days.

I made a batch of blender (food processor) mush tonight, rinsed all of the seafood well. I used about 1# of oysters, 1/4# bay scallops (rinsed them well, I know about the preservatives, makes the seafood taste sort of sour (In my line of work I notice things like that... lol), 1/4# squid, about 1# fresh black seabass trimmings (job perk... Hey boss can I take home the fish grunge? Plleeeaaassee :funny: :funny: )4 sheets of red seaweed (Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Selects, I already had it), 1/4# raw shell on tiger shrimp (no preservatives), Kyolic Garlic extract (from the health food store), Kent Zoe and Kent Zoecon.

Ok Jerel now that I've done most of what you said not to... :rolleyes: My fish seemed to like it... :D Why do you recomend not using squid? This unfortunately is Columbus, GA not Atlanta, fresh fish, what's that... :mad: Actually I can get fresh fish from our purveyor but his minimum on most things is too much for me and the grocery store sells fresh fish, catfish that is and "fresh" frozen mostly... :bigeek: **** I hate feeling like I live in a second rate city. :rolleyes: I'll keep the feeding small and watch my parameters.

BTW most scallops are processed with it now, even the "dry" scallops tend to be a little wet with it. :( Even at the whoesale level it's hard to get true "dry" pack (no water or preservatives added) scallops. I definately wouldn't want to use a lot of salmon, boy would that make a mess of the tank... :funny: Not to mention that salmon from purveyor $3.99/# , local store $6.99 - $11.99/# (same purveyor and no the price of salmon does not tend to vary) what a joke... I'll just have to start keeping fresh fish scraps and freezing them till the next time I make mush. Boy I wish I lived on the coast.

I've seen the Poly-Vi-Sol, kent product I believe, but never paid it much attention since I didn't know what it was and I don't tend to like chemicals. I've tried "Arragomilk and Kent Liquid Reactor, both seemd to help the algae blooms although the corals do seem to like it. But they also seem to like liquid calcium and the molebnium/Strontium.

Thanks for the replies Rick and Jerel. I do appreciate it, I'll try and get a pic tomorrow of the Montipora.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts