The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a long thread, but I am planning for my "ULTIMATE REEF TANK". It will be a while before I can get that up and running. A friend suggested that I design what I want now, so that I know what to look for in the next few years in case I find a bargain and my family agreed so that they would know what to get me for Christmas, Birthday, and Fathers Day each year. (Personally, I wanted to include Presidents, Valentines, Memorial, Hanukah, Martin Luther King, July 4th, and Labor Day but I didn't want to press my luck :D)

So what would I like from you? Help me get the list of what I want. There are so many ideas, and I value your opinions. I understand it will be MY TANK, and each person has their own preference, but some of you have found that certain brands suck and it is best to buy others. I just would like some guidance from your expertise.

It is a Reef Ready 240 gallon. 96x24x24 The tank will be set in front of a wall. All plumbing will be under the stand and NOT into the wall.

1. Do I want to use canisters?

2. PH METER: What about a Ph meter? The controller below might take care of that right?

3. CONTROLLER: I have been looking at the Neptune AquaController. Is this good? Alternatively, is there something better out there to monitor what I need?

4. MOVEMENT: What size Sea swirl would I need for a 240 and how many? Someone said I would want a Wavemaker. I would like to have a "closed loop" type system. I have seen some that have the water flow hidden between the rocks and you can't see anything but rock.

5. CALCIUM REACTOR: What brand/size.

6. CHILLER: What brand/size.

7. LIGHTS: The tanks will be 8 foot long so I am guessing 3 Blue and 3 white PC's. But I am unsure of the MH wattage.

8. UV STERILIZER: What brand/size.

9. SKIMMER: I have no doubt I want a Euro-Reef. I am guessing the ER1137 Model is best for me. Some have upgraded to the 9000 Sedras for the pumps...is that the best thing to do here too?

10. SPRAYBAR: Some have a PVC Spray bar that creates a water flow behind the rocks to push away detritus and gunk. This bar sets on bottom of substrate at back and it has holes drilled in it and is connected to a pump/PH that is hidden.

11. SUMP: Oceanic Reef Ready Model 3.

12. REFUGIUM: I have no idea if I want one, or if I can fit it beside my sump. Need help here too.

13. WHAT ELSE AM I MISSING?

David

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Originally posted by Ichthus

David
the most important question. what do you want to keep in it. primarily SPS, LPS, clams, all of the above with serious caves.

as for the aquacontroller, i have one and i like it a lot. i do get some false ons/offs during the day. that is my only complaint.

G~

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be a reef tank and i will have all of the above with serious caves.

NewReefer, on the aquacontroller is that better than the closed loop sysytem or Sea Swirls in your opinion?

This is the stuff I am looking for. Thanks a bunch.

Keep the help coming. My list is still pretty long.
David

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
You should start celebrating Kwanzaa........it is traditional to give a gift every day during the week of celebration....You forgot Easter, Columbus Day, Halloween.....:D

My money tree got hit by frost this year too....

Jodi

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
the aquacontroller is a microprocessor used to control various pieces of equipment around the tank. you can use it to turn on/off CLS's, lights, chillers, and heaters. they are great for just letting things run on their own. for such a large tank i would recommend it.

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
without a doubt vho over pc. on a tnak that size though, i'm not really sure how many and what length you'll need.

i belie a calcium reactor is worth it. specially for something that large.

cls = closed loop system.

it's a plumbing in your tank for water circulation using an external pump. gives higher water flow than using powerheds/seaswirls etc.. and will allow you to not clutter up your tank with powerheads.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The TUNZE is no seaswearl by far.
3,175gph is quite some movement at 17 whatts, try and find a CSL that can compare but does have one output in the tank.
For aquariums 100 - 500 gallons
pump 12000l/h (3175 gal), wave simulation, foodtimer and an option for operation in night mode
Turbelle ¨ stream 6100 + Singlecontroller 7091

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
No, maybe for carbon once and a while but that should be it.

2. PH METER: What about a Ph meter? The controller below might take care of that right?
go with the below

3. CONTROLLER: I have been looking at the Neptune AquaController. Is this good? Alternatively, is there something better out there to monitor what I need?
this is the best on the market, I would die with out mine

4. MOVEMENT: What size Sea swirl would I need for a 240 and how many? Someone said I would want a Wavemaker. I would like to have a "closed loop" type system. I have seen some that have the water flow hidden between the rocks and you can't see anything but rock.
I would go with the closed loop, much better then the seaswirl or any drop in PH

Koralinth, but wait until you need it

6. CHILLER: What brand/size.
Aqualogic is a good one, but again I would wait until you know you need one

7. LIGHTS: The tanks will be 8 foot long so I am guessing 3 Blue and 3 white PC's. But I am unsure of the MH wattage.
on the MH's you can go 250's or 400's on a 24 inch deep tank. On a 8 foot tank you are going to need 4 to propery light it. A MH will light a 2 foot square

thiers lost out thier I use Rainbow lifeguard

9. SKIMMER: I have no doubt I want a Euro-Reef. I am guessing the ER1137 Model is best for me. Some have upgraded to the 9000 Sedras for the pumps...is that the best thing to do here too?
sounds good to me

10. SPRAYBAR: Some have a PVC Spray bar that creates a water flow behind the rocks to push away detritus and gunk. This bar sets on bottom of substrate at back and it has holes drilled in it and is connected to a pump/PH that is hidden.
this is also what I have but I use it to return water form my sump and then the closed loop for flow

Make one yourself if you can

12. REFUGIUM: I have no idea if I want one, or if I can fit it beside my sump. Need help here too.
it can be a good idea for algae to use for scrubbers, and a great place for the population of bugs. You can make it so it is attractive or just a rubbermaid . It simple to plumb, a small PH feeding it and the gravity back to the sump or directly to the tank

tons but its early:D Best thing to do at this point is to start to draw up some plans so you can figure out what will work and wont.

TUNZE's are nice but a Powerhead is a powerhead:D ;)

mike

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
One thing you need to take in to consideration Ichthus... how are you gonna get all that stuff up to my place to set it up... you will need a U haul...and... ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ichthus said:
It is a Reef Ready 240 gallon. 96x24x24 The tank will be set in front of a wall. All plumbing will be under the stand and NOT into the wall.

No. Nitrate farms and live rock and protein skimming will do the trick. I was going to add DSB but by the time your tank is up DSBs will be long gone. :funny:

Controller will take care of it, but if you are getting a calcium reactor then you'll want to get a pH controller to cut off the CO2 - flowing through the CA reactor (don't know if the AquaController does that). The pH controller has a built-in pH meter.

CLS is the way to go. Also if you want a spray bar (low enough in the tank) then you definitely want a CLS - otherwise when the power goes out your living room will be the tank :p

I've been very happy with stuff from www.myreefcreations.com. Can't comment on any other brands.

Definitely go with four 450W 10,000K MH - from what I've heard each MH will give you coverage over a four square foot area (so you'll need four). Again, there are rumors that MHs will be a thing of the past in the next couple of years and so this too may be anachronistic :funny:

You don't want a UV sterilizer. From everything I've read they tend to kill all the happy microscopic creatures that are in the water column and which provide food to the filter feeders.

See answer to 4 above - if you want

Build it yourself - you'll have more control over it and working with acrylic isn't all that hard.

You do want one. Best to get one built into the sump. If you want ideas on this let me know and I can send you some pictures.
HTH
K.M.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Also if you want a spray bar (low enough in the tank) then you definitely want a CLS - otherwise when the power goes out your living room will be the tank
You can do the return from the sump to a low spray bar all you have to do is to attach a small peice of tubing into the elbow coming over the top. It works well as a air break.

You don't want a UV sterilizer. From everything I've read they tend to kill all the happy microscopic creatures that are in the water column and which provide food to the filter feeders.
I know this is an opinion thing but just to give a little more to the other side;). In the water column the nasties out populate this are 10 to one, so for me its has alway been a great way to rid yourself of these nasties.

Mike

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i can not divide, mojo is right, 4 mh would be needed on an 8 foot tank.

with point source lights, check your braces before making a final decision on the lighting. i had to go with 2 mh because of a brace in the middle of my 125.

G~

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lesson to be learned here: I am guessing that I would not want to put a MH light above the brace? Will it melt the silicone sealing?

People have said that is the reason they wanted to get a "brick-style" tank that has no center support. Oceanic has these, but the largest they show is a 215.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.