The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed over the last month or so that one of the panes of glass in my tank is coming out of true with the rest of the tank. The right side pane (as you are looking at the tank) is about 1/8 of an inch out of perpendicular with the top of the tank. It doesn't appear to have gotten any worse since I first noticed it.

The tank is also making cracking sounds around the bezel on that side of the tank. I'm assuming that it's the tank shifting under the change of pressure as the glass is moving. The bezel shows no signs of stress, nor does the glue holding the tank together.

The floor on which the tank is resting is not even. I've had this tank set up for about 2 1/2 to 3 years. First it was a cichlid tank, but this March I converted it over to a seahorse tank. I didn't notice any problems with the tank prior to conversion.

I'd like to get some feedback on whether or not I've got a real problem here or not. I'm going to be moving in the next six months so I'd rather not break the tank down now and set it back up in my basement only to do it all over again later.

So...am I keeping my self up at night for nothing, or should I seriously start thinking about moving the tank downstairs?

Cheers...Michael

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
That is scarey Michael. I'm inclined to say that if you're hearing noises then yes you should do something about it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Why not empty the water into a trash can then level the stand.

If it's comming out of alignment and makeing noises that is not a good sign. Of course if you level it the tank may attempt to come back into alignment which could cause problems as the pane of glass tries to shift back into place.

Tough call but scarey.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't have any experience with what you are describing, but I do have experience with 40 gallons of RO water spilling out on the floor and based on that experience I'd highly suggest you be overcautious and start taking the tank down. Water on the floor is no fun.

I would not be able to sleep at night with what you are describing going on.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Definatly try to reduce some of the stress on the glass first. then try to either level the stand or move it but definatly I wouldn't wait very long.

Ray

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the trash can idea is a good one. do I need to replace the tank or do you think that repairing it will be sufficient. And no, I didn't sleep well last night. I think a trip to Home Depot might be in order. Sigh....

Cheers...and thanks!...Michael

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Micheal

Man that sounds dangerous....At night I have noticed ocasionaly my tank will pop....It only does it one time, and it is pretty loud...I have always just written it off as the floor shifting or something...Like i said mine only does it once in a while...If you need any help with this let me know....

Clay

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I wonder if the popping you hear, clay could be a pistol shrimp or mantis shrimp.

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I don't think it is...if so man that thing is huge....This sounds like the apt shifting or something

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the tank shifting. I'll have a replacement tank tomorrow. So hopefully it'll make it through the night if I drain the water into 55 gallon trash can and move my critters into that.

Thanks for all your advise...Michael

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well rats. the tank my boss had has a HUGE chip out of one of the lower corners so that's not going to work. And since I'll be moving sometime between now and October putting out cash for a new tank ain't gonna work either. So then new plan is to move the corals to my reef tank. It'll be crowded but I think it'll be ok and move the live rock and sand to some rubermaid containers and aerate them. Jenn has been kind enough to agree to baby sit my seahorses for now.

So that's it until I move. I'm gonna miss my ponies, but on the bright side, that'll be one less tank to move.

Thanks for all you suggestions, this club is the best!

Cheers...Michael :beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts