The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I want to upgrade my tank! I have the 55g that is listed in our tanks only forum. The wife wants me to get rid of this one before I upgrade. Should I look at selling this as a whole unit and start over from scratch?:help: piece it out and keep what I want and just sell the tank stand canopy lights sump, pumps etc?

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You could put it out there as a whole unit and see if you get any takers at the price you want. I bet you would probably get more by piecing it out. There probably is alot you could reuse, but I don't know if I would. Make sure you don't cut corners on the new tank just to save a buck. I used the existing live rock that came with the 180 gallon tank I bought. I wish I hadn't. Every time I turn around a mushroom pops up out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I faced this same dilemma not long ago. What I did was bought the new tank intending to take down the 55G and merge the two together. Now I have two tanks in the bedroom with the 55G and the new 75G both running. And they are both the wife's tanks. That's what I get for offering to get her a larger tank. :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
I also had full intentions of taking down my 90 gallon. I knew that there was no way I was going to get even close to what I put into it. :rolleyes: I'm glad I didn't sell it. Now I have an sps tank and an lps tank.:agree:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I guess it depends on what size you're upgrading to. IMO I'd try to sell the whole thing minus livestock. I don't think you'll utilize the equipment from a 55. I'd post it on a forum & also the Coastal Trader. If you want to make a flyer with pics & info list, you can post it here at the store.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great nformation everyone. I am going to put together a list of things I want to keep and things I can move. Its a very nice tank stand and canopy and I don't think I will have a major problem selling it. I am going to try to get the wheel in motion onthis this weekend.

I am with Steve on the multiple tanks situation. I want to go to at least a 125g and one tank is all I can handle:):beer:

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I think I will try to coastal trader as well. Not sure about the ebay thing just yet. I am hungry for a larger toank and deals are popping up everywhere. There is a 225 acryllic tank stand and canopy on craiglist for $500 obo. he has pictures and the tank is real nice. Only thing is the acryllic has scratches and I am not at all familair with it, so I am hesitant. One thing I want to keep is the t5 in my new setup, wheter it be a tb mh combo, I am not sure yet. I still love zoos and shrooms and have not stepped into the SPS world except for a few acros and the caps, boy do I love the caps.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robert- I already have a hospital tank:) and John, yes Acryllic scares me as well. thanks for the confirmation.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I saw that tank on craigs list also. Its a great deal and if you are a careful...well more like an anal reef keeper then you should not have a problem, however if you are like the rest of us you will scratch the heck out of that tank. But then again 500 dollars is well worth it and you can buff out the scratches that are already on it.
I think you might be better off with a 125 or 150 long. Fishmaniac has the lowest prices on tanks and its worth talking to Brian about buying a new glass setup from him. Like teach said "DONT CUT CORNERS" I did when I bought my 180 and hated the look of the tank and stand. I had a beautiful reef but I could not get past the look of the stand and tank and I went out and bought a new setup. Just be patient and you will find the right tank

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I am definalety trying to be patient and make the right decision. I have visions, but them coming to fruision is another story:)

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
for 500 bucks that tank is well worth it. The pics are bad but its worth checking out in person. If I still had my 180 and have not gotten the 210 I would be all over that tank.

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I gave the the guy a call two days ago and he said there was someon ein line ahead of me. I told him I would be very interested if he doesnt purchase it. I gave him my cell and no calls yet. there is a 180 for $950 as well, did you see that?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts

yah not too bad. I would offer less and see what happens. its not reef ready. you want a reef ready tank.

that guy who is trying to sell the 29 gallon tank for 200 is off his rocker

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep. Thats what Iwas thinking. Not rr and that what I want. Clean looking tank. The decor is not for me:)

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
O.K. So I think I may sell my entire 55g setup and start new with new liverock, lS, the whole nine yards. The problem is, I need to find someone that needs a turnkey system. either that or sell it piece by piece. Shul di put it in craigslist? flea-bay? Help! I want a 180g, but need to move this full system first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts