The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'am on my fifth day of my tank being set up and my tank is almost as cloudy as the second day of it being set up, it is a 24 gallon aquapod, is this ok or a problem i duno, i have one sponge in the back and one bag of carbon, comments please, also i have a aqua c remora on the way will this help to clear the water? Oh and my ph has dropped to 7.8 normal for that much of a drop or not. thanks

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
What is clouding the water? Is it sand? Carbon dust? Knowing what the source of the problem is, will help us figure out the fix.

Jenn

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jenn i really don't know but it does not look like carbon dust, looks to be more like sand or some kind of fine particle, it seems more like the filter is not doing its job, i duno, but i can say that when i set up my 12 gal dx it was clear in two days.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Did you put sand in the tank? If so was it moist live sand, or dry aragonite (even pre-rinsed, non-live aragonite can take some time to settle).

Believe it or not, as the beneficial bacteria populate on the sand, the sand actually becomes 'heavier' and less apt to blow around.

You could try using a product like Kent Proclear Marine if you're really bugged by it... I'm not a "pusher" of stuff like that but it's a flocking agent - it will grab fine particles and make them heavier - they will either fall to the bottom (to be vacuumed out) or make them larger so that the mechanical filter pulls them out instead of letting them pass through.

Jenn

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
When I set up my pod I ran both sponges the first 48 hours. I used the live sand in a bag tho I rinsed it first. Dumped the sand moved some of my existing lr and about 12 gallons of mature tank water. Then I topped off with new salt water. It was very cloudy the first night but by morning it had cleared. Now I just have one sponge and the carbon. FYI I added another powerhead because the stock pump doesn't provide enough flow for my corals. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts