The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be moving my tank to the basement Friday. Here is my plan of attack.

Put garbage cans in place
Put water in one can
Put rock in that can
Put water in another can
Put fish shrimp in that can
Put corals in 10g
Remove all equipment from tank
Undo plumbing from underneath
Move tank
Do plumbing
Add equipment
Add water
Add rock
Add livestock

I have powerheads and heaters for all containers and 30 gallons of water ready. I'll rinse my rocks off before going back in the tank. Also im bare bottom so no sand. Am I missing any steps?

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
Sounds good! Great that you have the extra heaters you'll need them for sure for your fish and inverts. I learned this the hard way on a 30 min. drive after a tank tear down in January this year. All my fish started to go into temp shock without the heater! Will never be doing that again. Good luck with the move!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. How long would oxygen deplete in a 32 gallon can though?

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
not to sure RFF, I just did a sad experiment since no one wanted my goldfish. in about 10 gal of water 3 gold fish at 2in each lasted about 2 weeks with no food, aireation, water movement. but in saltwater we have a lot more to worry about with all the bacteria and such.. I would think as long as the water is agitated every hour or so it would be fine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the move took 3 hours and went very smooth. Sump got a nice cleaning, the Ranco Digital Temp controller got installed, rock went in one barrel, livestock in another, and just water in a third. A 1/4 hp sump and 100ft of garden hose (all brand new) made moving water a cinch!!! ATO now has a 32 gallon reservoir instead of 5 gallons and tank is on a proper stand instead of my homemade 2x4 one.

Rock work got redone nicely I might say and the new Vortech MP40W is workin' like a charm. Now I just need my RMS mounts to get here so I can put my Radions over the tank!!!! Oh and yes, all three shrimp, two crabs, four corals, and two clowns made the transition just fine with no issues. Although it has only been like 2 hours.....but here's to thinking I did it all right and won't have any adverse side effects!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts