The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well moving into town so this can be done in a couple of hours. My 15 pounds of arogonite cover the floor up front - SSB arogonite is only 3 months old and there are nassarius snails and LFS sand mixed in so I really don't want to ditch it.

I have a couple of brand new barrels to use and can move as much rock and water as necessary for my 55g.

How much water should I move? Also..will the substrate be better off being moved and submerged for two hours without flow or should I just change it again?

I'll have whatever new mix water I need good to go there and will just pump it in fast with an old pump (one Rio out of six left..if it explodes on me oh well).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'm not really going to give you advice but just relay an experience of mine. I purchased a 75g setup beginning of May (it had be running previously for approx 4 years with water changes only about every 2 or 3 months we were told) and the LFS owner that help me move it just moved all the LR, corals and fish into buckets and pumped the tank water into the buckets to cover the contents for moving. He then pumped most of the remaining (existing) tank water into a water container in the back of his truck, leaving only enough water to barely cover the sandbed in the tank. The tank was then loaded and moved in his truck that way and installed in my home with everything going back into the tank in the reverse order as it came out. We let it sit for almost 2 weeks before doing a water change. It worked out well as every single living thing survived the move and had less shock IMO. I've had no major problems with water specs either other than a recent algae bloom (which we are chalking up to a change in type of salt mix used).

Good luck with your move.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I think in this case you can save the sand, just rince it out really well. I think throw the sand in a 5G bucket with SW, move it over, rince it and discard the rince water.

If it were me, I would like to bring about 50% of the water, and have the other 60% (yes I know, adds up to 110% but you need that extra 10%) all made up at the new place, and your RO/DI already installed there, with a good amount of RO/DI water on hand. I don't know why, but I always end up using it.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Reefneck :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts