The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put LS in to the tank yesterday. Should I let everything settle or should I hook up a filter? I have a overthe back filter that I took off my last aquarium.

Chris

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
How long has your tank been established? You don't want to remove the fine grains of sand and thats exactly what your PF will do to you. The bacteria is what binds the finer grains of sand together and keeps them in place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it isnt established....cycleing

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Interesting. I'd think the carbon filters in a Power filter would catch the fine sand present in a "milkshake" and not let it settle.

I'm prolly wrong. Lord knows its not the first time and most certainly won't be the last. :funny:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i agree with the let the filter just move the water and not let it trap any goodies. either fine grains or bacterial wastes. it will take several days for it to settle. it makes you wonder if it ever will.:D

all you can do is wait it out.

G~

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Geoff said:
i agree with the let the filter just move the water and not let it trap any goodies.
Ditto.

The fine sand granules have so much more surface area per equal volume (more granules with more surface) that act as the substrate for bacterial biofilms to populate. This will start out as a series of nuisance blooms, but will change over to nice clean sand one the competition for new real estate is established and your tank matures. Think of the coming algal blooms as growing grass for the "next level" of consumers in the tank. Primary production must occur first before more complex life forms can be supported. Keeping the fines makes it occur with greated population densities as each specie blooms. You are encouraging complex food chains from the bottom up.

Heh! Let the feeding frenzie begin!

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I actually run the filter with a very coarse filter plate (mine has those plastic screens to sqaush the filter material in between) it wont catch the fine particles but seems to help calm everything down.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.