The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is making a popping noise ever since I added a red ridged sponge. Today when I moved the sponge a tine yellowish clear shrimp fell out and ran around for a bit before disappearing. Does anyone know if this is a pistol shrimp, Ive heard of them but never seen one like this. It was to fast for me to get a pic of so sorry bout that. If it is a pistol shrimp is it dangerous in a softie tank with mixed clean up crew (hermits shrimp and snails)?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The poping is generally attributed to mantis shrimp. not to bad for a reef.....but they can wreak havoc on fish and inverts. I have even heard tell of them breaking glass in tanks. They use they're Praying mantis like front "arms" to spear and catch whatever they want, and it makes a poping sound. Oh and they're nickname is the "thumbsplitter" so watch those digits! :)

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
tha sounds like a pistol shrimp to me. is one claw larger than the other? the pair up with gobie fish in the wid and form a symbiot relationship with them..
http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=pistol%20shrimp

here is a link with a bit of info on them. see if one resembles what you have.. if it is get a gobie and enjoy.. they are very cool to have in your reef.. :D

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
oooh nice ..:D Go an get you a gobie son.. HAHA ..
I had a YWG and a pistol shrimp that were 6" from each other in the tank for almost 5 months and never paired.. I also have CBS and a mean ol dottyback that were bullies.. my pistol disappeared a few weeks ago and I recently moved my gobie to his own home.. I'm getting another pistol in a few weeks to see if I can finally pair him with one.. good luck and great find.. :D

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Cause they are evil and will suck out your soul through your left side pinky toe if you don't where steel toed boots..plus they swear a lot... Haha.. do a you tube search for mimic octopus vs mantis shrimp.. they are viscous lil currs..

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Cause they are evil and will suck out your soul through your left side pinky toe if you don't where steel toed boots..plus they swear a lot... Haha.. do a you tube search for mimic octopus vs mantis shrimp.. they are viscous lil currs..
lol:funny: I know I don't call them thumbsplitters for nothing. They do make a cool species tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts