The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everybody,

My saltwater tank of only 3 years sprung a leak. It was definitely not a minor one. I had to drain the whole thing. Water was coming out of the bottom. Not the pane of glass on the bottom but somewhere there must be hole in the sealant. Fortunately, I always have tube of sealant just in case this happens. The one thing I am trying to figure out is how this happened. Here are a couple things I think may have caused it.
1. This tank was in storage for about 6 months at one point, I have heard that the sealant can dry out during that time and be less effective in the long run.
2. The floor I had the tank on was not very stable. It was hardwood and when people walked by, or my dogs, who play int he room constantly and run back and forth in front of it it wobbles slightly. Not to the point where it was a major concern, but now that this tragedy happened it may be.
3. Not only was the floor unstable, but uneven. I have things propping up the tank,under the stand to make it more level. Could these propping methods be creating too much uneven pressure in the tank causing the sealant to wear more quickly or be less effective. With the props under there I was able to make it an even surface for the tank, but idk.

Hardwood can be tough sometimes. It is softer, so it moves more than a solid tile or concrete surface, obviously. But, that was the best place for me to put the tank at the time, and still is the best place. I want to avoid moving it if I can because I have RO/DI hooked up to the sink in my laundry room which is right next to the room with my tank. It is a tough predicament.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight or experience with this I would love to hear it so I can prevent any future despair for me, my fish and my coral, who are doing fine right now in a bucket.

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Hold quick question

Are you going to reseal the whole tank? Or are you planning in just adding some seal to fix the leak?

If you just touch it up chances are you will have a more serious blow out later. If I were you reseal the tank or get a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts