The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hood with 2 blue and 2 white lights. The temp is getting up to around 80 degrees. What are some of the ways to pull the temp down to around 74?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I'm with casey, 80 is an ideal temperature for a reef tank! In the range of 78 to 84 will work for most tanks!:)

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i personally would not go any higer than 80 on a reef tank that has fish in it. if it does not have fish than above 80 is alright. fish on the open reef are able to go down in water column to cool down, but in our closed systems they can not. just my 02 on temp.

to keep a tank cool, fans are your best friend. if you have a sump, blowing a fan across it can drop the temp some. also if you can add some fans blowing across the surface of the aquarium itself will help a lot.

G~

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Geoff! I would think with the amount of water movement in our tanks that having the temp up around 82-84 would not be a problem considering the temp falls at night so the temp doesn't stay high for a long period of time. My fish seem to be doing quite well and act quite natural in their movement and breathing!

Hey what ever works in our system it's cool! No pun intended!:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the room temp is 83. I am running VHO lighting. AS for temp...due to the fact I am in colorado, My LFS recomends that I keep my temp 2 degrees below recomended, as well as my salenity lower. All has to do with the fact that H2O is not the same as it is at sea level.

I will be doing a FO tank for a while untill everything settles down.

Chris

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well, I've seen the advice given to you by the LFS mentioned by someone else in another thread (not sure where atm) and it was shown that trying to lower the temperature and salinity in an attempt to bring the dissolved oxygen level up in the water was actually more stressful to the tank inhabitants than the lower than 'normal' oxygen levels.
If you're running a skimmer then you should have more than an adequate amount of dissolved oxygen in the water due to the bubbles aerating it. If I were you, I'd bring your temp and salinity up to 'normal' (i.e. 78-82 degrees/1.025 salinity) your tank should do fine.
I wish I knew the scientific reasoning behind this, but from what I understand oxygen can only saturate to a certain point in water anyway, and with the bubble-action of the skimmer plenty of oxygen is available even at higher elevations...
That's my $.02 :)
HTH

·
Registered
645 Posts
Those guys at your LFS are steering you down the wrong path. BLUEMANDJ, you have a PM. I may be able to help you out for the fact that I am in Colorado Springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts