The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just set up my 70 gal tank and its being extremely loud! i have an overflow system with a Durso Standpipe draining water into the sump, its really really loud like its bubbling and gurggling, it has a hole drilled into the top of the pipe, if i cover it up it sounds like a flushing toilet and the water flow gets screwy, if i leave it uncovered it has a constant flow rate but its just terribly noisy, any suggestions?

·
Registered
620 Posts
How big is the hole in the top of the standpipe? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can finetune the thing by adjusting the hole in the top (might need to plug it up with silicone first then pierce it with a needle then make bigger as nec.)

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
How big is the hole in the top of the standpipe? I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can finetune the thing by adjusting the hole in the top (might need to plug it up with silicone first then pierce it with a needle then make bigger as nec.)
You can finetune them with the hole up top and also the line from the tank to the sump if it is flex need to had a no sagging to it where the water drop below the level on the sump and then hads to go back uphill to enter the sump, It can create noise

·
Registered
914 Posts
so i just set up my 70 gal tank and its being extremely loud! i have an overflow system with a Durso Standpipe draining water into the sump, its really really loud like its bubbling and gurggling, it has a hole drilled into the top of the pipe, if i cover it up it sounds like a flushing toilet and the water flow gets screwy, if i leave it uncovered it has a constant flow rate but its just terribly noisy, any suggestions?

I know what you mean.....I switched my 50 gallon from a continuous syphon to an overflow box that hangs off of the back and I was amazed at how loud the gurgling and spitting is that comes from it. I am going to try putting an elbow joint onto the drain whole in the overflow to see if I can get the hole completely submerged in the water.

·
70 Posts
When I set mine up, I just bought 4 different caps for the durso drilled different sized holes and switched back and forth until I was happy with that end of it. I ended up needing to use a smaller elbow at the top also. For instance, a 3/4 elbow will fit inside a 1 inch female opening just like a street elbow. As mentioned above, the flow from the tank to the sump needs to be a downward run with no uphill sections. On the sump end I added a length of pipe leaving the bulkhead on the sump that was long enough to extend under the water level in the first sump chamber. Now my system is nearly silent.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
putting a durso on and dialing it in isnt to bad put quietting down the water coming into the sump might be a harder issue to fix. I think im going to try that ultraquiet herbie syphon method when i get the new tank. you have to have a reef ready tank with 2 holes in the overflow. both are used for draining. you put a gate valve on one and raise the water level about the standpipe so no air can get in. The other one remains a little bit above the water level and hopefully is never needed. but if the one under the water ever gets clogged, then the second drain will take over

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
for quiet drainage on the sump end i just used a length of flex hose so the water drained right into the bottom of the sump and stayed under the water level. it was totally silent. as for the durso... you may just need to do a little more fine tuning.

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Take it to Midas, you might need a new muffler. :funny:

My durso seemed loud too when I first had it set up. I realized the noise was coming from the tiny hole I'd drilled in the top of the durso. I muffled that by drilling the hole out bigger and sticking a piece of ~1/4" hose in there that is about 3" long. That's long enough to muffle the noise coming out of that little hole.
If you noise is the return in the sump, you should make sure your return is slightly submerged in the water. There are some fancy things you can do there with a T for air to escape and such but I haven't done it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think im going to try that ultraquiet herbie syphon method when i get the new tank. you have to have a reef ready tank with 2 holes in the overflow. both are used for draining. you put a gate valve on one and raise the water level about the standpipe so no air can get in. The other one remains a little bit above the water level and hopefully is never needed. but if the one under the water ever gets clogged, then the second drain will take over
Wow, I've been using a similar type of system for the last 6 years, now it's got a name?

I've never understood why the Durso is so popular. To me it's a flawed in it's design. The reason why overflows are noisy is because there is air and water mixed in the overflow plumbing. The solution is to remove the air, which eliminates the noise.

But the Durso, allows air into the overflow intentionally? Why? To me it's just not though out properly, like the fundamental reason for the noise hasn't been identified.

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
ill see what i can dig up but basically you use both holes in the overflow for draining purposes. The first holes is restricted with a gate valve a little just so the water level is a little higher than the standpipe. The second hole has a standpipe that is higher than the water level. The second standpipe isnt supposed to be in use (hence why its higher than the water level) but is there incase the pipe that is underwater gets clogged,

1 - 20 of 37 Posts