The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Love this site and the fun banter from day to day. Makes it fun while learning.

Ok, so here is my post. I have a 125 gal that I have recently started up. Running a ASM-G2 Skimmer in my 20 gal sump, 4 - 48" VHO (2 Actnic), approx 150-200 lbs of base rock and decorative (dead) coral, 20 lbs of live coral and 1-2 inches of crushed coral under 2-3 inches of live sand. I currently have a yellow watchman (< 2") and a pink long tentacle anemone (both are doing very well). Oh, have a few mushrooms as well.

I am ending my cycle in the tank which was started around July 1st. We would like to add some fish, some inverts and some softies and polyps. I have a few ideas about fish I would like but I need some suggestions on the softies and polyps.

Fish and inverts I would like to get are:
Ocellaris Clownfish
Pistol Shrimp or Fire Shrimp
Sixline Wrasse
scool of 5-7 Blue Green Chromis
Sailfin Tang
Bicolor Angel or Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel

Can you let me know what you think of this list and make some suggestions on other fish as well as the softies.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Congrats on the cycle ending!
Sail fins are my favorite Tang I would add that one last as they can be a bit of a bully.

The dwarf angels are 50/50 as for being reef safe my flame picked on my button polyps but others have had them with no problems at all.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Easily overlook fish early on in the hobby are gobies and blennies. Some have some truly astounding colors. Look into Dart gobies. And blennies...well, they're not always the prettiest, but most are LOADED with character, and can be quite beautiful in their ugly kind of way. Very fun fish!

Some have compatability problems withing their own kind (i.e. Some blennies don't like other blennies of the same shape near them), but in a tank your size, I doubt 2 or 3 would be a problem.

If you GET a pistol shrimp, definitley look into getting a shrimp goby like the Diamond Goby. The two form a symbiotic pair (might take a while) that help each other's chance of survival and happiness.

As for the pygmy angels (a.k.a. dwarf's) you mentioned...as Kelli said...it's hit or miss. 50/50. I've had a CB in my 72 for a year now, and he's very well behaved, but I've also had a lemon peel with a rather voracious appitite for zoo's. It's not so much the type of angel, as it is luck of the draw. The younger, the better chance of him behaving.

Check out this link for a discussion on pygmy angels and how reef-safe they are. I think you'l find it helpful!

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69429

Chromis are a great addition, but add them last. They are hogs when it comes to food, and any other fish you get later, might have a hard time getting thier fill, putting them at an immediate disadvantage.

Also add the tang towards then end.

With a tank that size, your options as far as tangs go are pretty open. Yellow, Naso, Hippo, Powder Blue (iffy?), etc. Tangs are GORGEOUS fish! But I wouldn't get any more than 2 in a tank that size. They need lots of open room, so when you aquascape, try to leave the front open...so they can swim back and forth.

Wrasses...well, I just think they are the most beautiful fish there are. But one problem....they (most) can be jumpers. Which means you would have to have some cover on the tank...and this can restrict gas exchange. If you get wrasses, look into eggcrate (plastic grid usually used in florescent light fixtures) to top the tank.

All in all, think you have a good list. Stay away from pedetory fish like Lions, Puffers, etc unless you're setting up a system SPECIFICALLY for them.

Keep the questions coming, and welcome to TRT!!!

(now post some pics of that new tank!!!! hahaha)

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
A great beginer fish (that is almost as imposible to kill as a damsel) is a Fox face rabit fish. They are one of my favorite fish and have the most personality you could want in a fish. Just watch out for their spines!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
skeety said:
Easily overlook fish early on in the hobby are gobies and blennies. Some have some truly astounding colors. Look into Dart gobies. And blennies...well, they're not always the prettiest, but most are LOADED with character, and can be quite beautiful in their ugly kind of way. Very fun fish!

Sooooo right!!!!!!!!! I love little gobies and blennies!!!! THey are my favprite all time fish!!!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I have a Yellow Watchman Goby in there right now, that is why I wanted the pistol shrimp, is this the best shrimp for the job?

I agree the goby's have the funniest little faces...they kill me!

Anyway, how about some lower light plants, corals, polyps, etc...what do you recommend?

I do have glass on top of the tank, should I replace it with the eggcrate? It sure would be easier to keep clean and would help to keep the tank cooler in the summer.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Hi Frankandmaura, Just keep in mind when adding fish they can help cause nitrates to climb. I have a 150 and added way too many fish now I'm dealing with high nitrates.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
frankandmaura said:
I do have glass on top of the tank, should I replace it with the eggcrate? It sure would be easier to keep clean and would help to keep the tank cooler in the summer.

Thanks again!
THere's no good reason to keep the glass on the tank, other than to stop jumpers, which you can mostly do with eggcrate. The glass cover is trapping heat, and stuning gas exchange. Remove it!

As for getting eggcrate? Only if you get fish known for jumping. Otherwise, just leave the top open!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
frankandmaura said:
I will try to get some pics tonight...not much to show though. Mostly rock and water :rotflmao:

Keep the advice coming as well!
we love pics, even of rocks and water. just keep em comming once you start. for corals, look at zoanthinds, ive feel in love with them, they come in millions of colors. mushrooms are great. depending on how low your light is, check out some lps corals like hammers and candy canes, frogspawn, those are really cool additions.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok...I am sorry, my camera battery was dead last night when I got home at 9 pm and I was too tired to snap the pics, so I am going to get some pics tonight.

As far as adding the fish too fast, I am not sure what to do. I want to go to my LFS, but he doesn't have too much stuff. I think I might be able to get him to order me some...we'll see. I was thinkning about ordering online, but I need to make a big order to not get killed on shipping...I guess that plan is out so I don't add too many at once.

I think what I will do is add a few fish, from the LFS, maybe some Zoa for now and see how we do, then maybe add some in a few more weeks.

Thanks again!

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
To be honest...with a tank your size, and that much rock, I think you'd have no problem adding 3-4 smaller fish at a time. The extra increased bio-load would be dispersed over 125 gallons and >150lbs of LR? I think you'd see a super mini cycle at best.

So i think once you have your list down, let us know, and you could probably order them in 2 or 3 batches of 3 or 4 fish each, and you'd be fine.

Or you can go through your LFS as well. Most will order stuff, might take a while, but almost all of them will do that for ya.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that is going to be my plan. Order a few from the LFS, wait a while, order a few more...etc. My LFS said he can place the order Monday morning and get the fish that night, they get their delivery every Monday. In your opinion, should I just get the fish that night and that way the fish only need to acclimate once or, let them acclimate at the LFS and pick them up a few days later to take them home?

Can I add some of the Zoa and a coral with a few fish right off the bat?

Also, I only have about 20lbs of live rock, with tons of base rock...not sure how long it takes all of that to become live. Your thoughts...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts